• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 Scam

rcdore

Freshman Member
There is a TR2 scam going on on Craig's List. I found it on search Tempest. I replied and “Barbara” responded saying it was her deceased husband’s car, she wants to sell it because she has cancer. It is at an auto shippers warehouse and can be shipped free, to your location. You have five days to decide if you want to buy it. I suppose at some point they would want your bank account number. I offered her a reduced price and offered to inspect the car at the shippers location in Springfield, MO. No response. It turns out the pictures of the car were taken at a classic car dealers lot in New Zealand, and no such auto transport company is in Springfield, MO. It’s been fun.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I find a surprising number of sellers on Craigslist that lose interest as soon as you say you want to see the goods first.

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Yup, scam. Been involved in one just like that. Never had any skin in the game, but it became obvious this car in the auction on ebay was a scam set up similar to yours. I ended up buying a car from the dealer who's car picture was used in the scam listing! Simple rule, if I can't lay my eyes on the car there's just no deal.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Is this the original TR2 ad, or at least very similar?
https://cars.trovit.com/listing/1955-triumph-tr2-roadster-and-hardtop.qqh1B1G1yD1R

I've been looking for a TR2 or early 3 for a while, and this one popped up on a search. Contacted seller and got pretty much the same spiel. Said it was her father's car and he recently passed away. Ad states clearly the car is in Kentucky (a weekend trip from ATL for me), but seller said it was in Idaho. Very eager to set up a fast deal. I happen to have friends in Boise who could easily run out and verify the car. Seller never got back with me when I asked to set up a time for my friend to inspect the car.

Country flag
Free shipping always a dead giveaway. I do like to mess with them. Last week an XKE coupe for $14k on local craigslist. Strung them along and after I said I would bring cash when I picked it up, Nothing.
Marv

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
When I come across them I tell them I “will have my brother in the FBI come look at it and do the deal”. Funny how they never get back to me after that.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Something I have done the two times I bought cars sight-unseen on eBay is ask for some additional photos (floorboards with the carpets out, close-up of the commission plate, etc) - both for the info they provide and to confirm they really have the car there with them.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yup, scam. Been involved in one just like that. Never had any skin in the game, but it became obvious this car in the auction on ebay was a scam set up similar to yours. I ended up buying a car from the dealer who's car picture was used in the scam listing! Simple rule, if I can't lay my eyes on the car there's just no deal.

Scam yes auction no. An eBay auction affords considerable protection to both the buyer and seller through eBay's policies. In Geo's example the listing is a "classified advertisement" with none of eBay's protection, an important distinction. https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/howto/research-protection.html
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Say Driver my 56 TR3 is TS11083, did yours come with front disk brakes?
Yes, it did.
I previously (many years ago) owned a 56 with the front drums, but never could get them to work as well as the discs on the 3A. So disc brakes were a requirement for me, this time around.

It even still has the early pattern Girling MCs, which are very likely original. One of my back burner projects is to learn how to sleeve them myself.