Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I need to remove the windshield frame on my 71 TR-6 in order to install new a new rubber seal. I have removed the 2 nylock nuts from the studs under the dash. What is the next procedure to free the frame?
I have remove them but is there any special trick to getting the frame loose? Do I need to tap the end of the studs with a brass rod or just work the frame back and forth to get it to loosen up?
If you decide to tap the studs, put the nuts back on them making them about flush with the end of the studs, so you don't damage the threads on the studs.
I think you also have to loosen the bolts number 31 as they pinch the rod, located when you open up the doors you will see the bolts I ended up using my impact guy with a rod in it to get the frame out
I have found that if you flood the area around frame rods with penetrating oil and wiggle the frame back on forth while pulling upward will remove the frame. Removing the bolts on the frame rod brackets will make it harder to remove the frame.
I think you also have to loosen the bolts number 31 as they pinch the rod, located when you open up the doors you will see the bolts I ended up using my impact guy with a rod in it to get the frame out
Dave, i just recently put all new dash pads in my car, and replaced the gasket under the windsheild. If you did not get it loose yet you might be in for some work. I rocked my windsheild back and fort for two days, had 2 people pulling on it, luckily for me my drivers side came loose first, so it was not hard to see. We shot liquid wrench on the brackets for another 2 days, and even unbolted the bracket fastener bolt completley to make sure it was loose. ( one of the two bolts between door and fender) Finally after foor days of liquid wrench and pulling as hard as we could on it, we decided it was not going anywhere. We got a blow torch, and got under the dashboard to put some heat on it. Unfortunatelly pain started to bubble on the outside, from the heat, so i recomend being careful, but it came loose and was pretty simple from there on. Cars paint is nothing to behold so some bubbles in the paint wasn't a big deal for us.
-chad
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.