• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR 6 stomberg/de smogging??

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello,
I am getting a '76 TR6 back on the road for a customer and its been sitting in a garage for 10 yrs. Would like to remove all the smog/emmission stuff off the car and the carbs. Any one have ideas or been thru this? Customer does not want to change carbs. I am a A.Healey guy, so this is all new to me. Also any comments, ideas, thoughts on good upgrades would be helpful. Like, alternate brake servos, etc. Thanks
Ed

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Ed.

TR6's seem to like Pertronix ignitions, and an upgraded alternator is also a nice upgrade. If the carbs haven't been rebuild that can make a big difference as well, and probably a should do if it has been sitting. Poly suspension bushings are also a nice upgrade, and last longer than the rubber bits available today.

You can remove a lot of the emissions plumbing, whether you should or not is a matter of debate (and I'm going to stay out of it). It has been discussed recently here actually.

What sort of use does the owner have in mind?

OP
wangdango

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Owner is a "sort" of car guy, owns a Porsche Boxster, BMW cabrio, but doesnt seem to be a real die hard like myself. I for one always like to improve a classic, tastefully, ie, same engine, not a swap, etc. But would love for him to let me build the car in a sort of "cafe racer," sort. Any more advice, upgrades, things to change, etc would be great. Thanks to all!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Well, a properly sorted TR6 moves pretty well. I'd get a good baseline with carbs/distributor/ignition and tight suspension and then see where he wants to go.

If that doesn't cut it then springs from Good Parts are a nice upgrade as well as a matched front/rear sway bars.

You can certainly spend oodles of money, but nor sure it is necessary. I'm sure others will chime in here...

Minesweeper

wangdango said:
Hello,
I am getting a '76 TR6 back on the road for a customer and its been sitting in a garage for 10 yrs. Would like to remove all the smog/emmission stuff off the car and the carbs. Any one have ideas or been thru this? ... .

Hi Ed -- removing the smog equipment is just a matter of starting at the air pump and removing it and everything up to the exhaust manifold. Hardest part is getting the air rails off the manifold, which is best done with the manifold out of the car and a torch to break the corrosion. The air rail ports in the manifold can then be plugged with set screws. I also removed the egr valve. The egr port on the cylinder head and an open port at the intake manifold will have to be plugged, both with brass plugs available at the hardware store. You will also have an open port on the rear carb to cap. I do not believe that the smog plumbing to and from the carbon canister has any measurable effect on performance, so I left that stuff in place.

Scott