• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3B Fuel Line Question

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I can't find anyone selling the short fuel line with fastener that goes from the fuel tank line into the fuel pump. Gas is on the bottom of the line leading to the fuel pump and I can't tighten it to stop the seeping..

I talked with Moss and that line is the one part they don't sell.

Does anyone know where I can find one, along with what is needed to attach and tighten it on the fuel pump?

Thanks.

Paul

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe that on the later cars (without the shutoff valve), it's just a length of plain fuel line hose between the hard line to the tank and the hard line to the pump. 5/16" od IIRC, available at FLAPS or P/N 115784 @ TRF. Originally no clamps, but I suggest adding them (I believe even TRA accepts them as a non-penalty "safety" item).

The hard line to the pump is ordinary 5/16" od fuel (or brake) line, terne coated steel. Should be readily available at FLAPS. About 8" or so IIRC, with a gradual bend of about 30 degrees. TRF has the nut listed 60142, but I managed to find one at FLAPS.

The tricky part is the sleeve. The original sleeves had a different profile than modern sleeves do, and the ones I've bought from both TRF & Moss in the past were not right. Modern sleeves are tapered at both ends, while the original was flat on the end next to the nut and only tapered on the end that goes into the pump. The extra taper slides up inside the nut and effectively makes the sleeve so short that it will not seal properly before the nut bottoms into the threads in the pump. Overtightening the nut (in an attempt to stop the leak) can actually break the pump casting! That's been some years ago, so it's possible they have had sleeves made in the correct pattern, but I doubt it. Custom made parts would cost a lot more than $.50.

Several approaches you can try to deal with that. On my (previous) TR3A, I carefully filed the last thread off of the nut, so it could go deeper into the pump and compress a modern sleeve (readily available at Home Depot, etc). Another approach is to wrap teflon tape, or valve packing, around the line between the nut & sleeve. Perhaps the most elegant solution is written up here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffODA0ZmI4YTItNDhiZC00YmMzLTllOTUtZWVjN2U5MTUzZjA3

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It won't look correct -- but I drove for years with a pump that had a brass barbed fitting threaded into it there. Probably had a taper thread. The car came to me like that so I cannot say if it was a common hardware store item (though I suspect it was).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It won't look correct -- but I drove for years with a pump that had a brass barbed fitting threaded into it there. Probably had a taper thread. The car came to me like that so I cannot say if it was a common hardware store item (though I suspect it was).
My current TR3 had the same thing when I got it. The threads don't actually match, but the NPT threads on the brass fitting apparently jammed into the pump threads well enough to not leak.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Interesting, Mine has a flare on the fuel pump end of the 5/16 steel pipe and has no brass sleeve. The threaded fitting tightens down on the flare and I have no problems. Just recently changed the fuel line rubber hose because of cracks in the old one. My car is a '61.