• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

Wedge towing a TR8

carl w french

Senior Member
Offline
If one were to consider towing a TR8 for about 1k miles via a dolly what precautions should you take? IE; do you need to disconnect the driveshaft?
 
Absolutely, if you dont, and assuming the rear wheels will be the ones on the ground, you'll fry the transmission.
 
Yes, the owners manual cautions against towing as the 5 speed has an oil pump driven by the in put shaft. However, out of ignorance I towed my TR7 from here to Breckenridge,CO in 2001 and back on a tow dolley. Around 600 miles I think. Have put 20,000 plus miles on it since and am holding my breath. Ted Schumacher told me in Breckenridge that my tranny would go away, but declined to say when. AAR if I had it to do over again I would disconnect the driveshaft at the differential and tie it up out of the way. Thats what I did with my daughters TR7 auto when I tow dollied it from Richmond,VA to St. Francis,KS. 17mm box end and a hammer should suffice to break the bolts loose once it's on the dolley and you can squeeze under it to work. Good Luck, Dale
 
Rent a U-haul car hauler and fly out and truck it back, You will save gas and wear on your car towing it and no tow dolly issues
 
I too towed my 8 home, about 55 miles with the rear wheels firmly planted on the road before I knew any better. After about 8k miles I've noticed no ill effects. Would I recommend it? He!! no, but just wanted to say that in an emergency and for short distances this isn't necessarily the kiss of death.

Tom
 
Back
Top