Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm at the point in my restoration that I need a top. I find several makers, materials and prices to choose from. Can you give me your thoughts on the best bang for the bucks? Any maker or material that I should avoid?
I have always been satisfied with the Robbins vinyl tops and tonneaus for an affordable solution. I also have a (white) top and tonneau out of the 'Everflex' material -- pricier but has a nice look and feel to it.
I don't know if all TR6 tops have a zip out rear window, but if this is not standard then it is IMO an option worth paying more for.
I believe I have a Robbins Vinyl top on mine (it was on when I bought the car 9 years ago). I like it just fine though it rarely gets used. When you try and put it up when it's cold it takes Herculean strength to fasten it. I have the reflective stripe which I like a lot. Some tops don't have that so that might be a factor to consider. It also has the zip-out rear window which is nice. However, my zipper is all discombobulated so I can't zip the window up at all. Don't know if that is a common problem or not.
Just a suggestion... Why don't you contact someone who makes the tops and request a couple of samples, this way you can decide before you place your order. I have what is referred to as Deluxe Mohair Canvas (DMC). I like the canvas look and it is not affected by the cold like vinyl is. Here's a company in the UK that I'm sure would send you some small material samples to see and feel the difference.
Note: I only know of this company but have never dealt with them.
I know Robbins seems to be the most popular but it cost more and they all seem to offer the the same materials. I guess my biggest concerns are getting a top that fits and will hold up. I don't think I will use the top very often so why spend more on something that is hidden under the boot. Are there advantages to one over another?
In that case price may be your main issue -- I have never had a bad top or one that couldn't be made to fit from any of the usual vendors.
About the only action my top sees is on long multi-day trips when my wife is along, then the top is nice for sun protection. That is why I like the zip-out window.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.