• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tool Rolls and Pouches

Novamonte

Country flag
Hi!
I have always thought that the trunk looks a bit messy with all the modern stuff you have to carry around (tow line, jump start cables, some tools, perhaps a modern jack), so I wanted to find a way to make it look a little better. I purchased some canvas, borrowed my wife’s sewing machine and made some tool rolls and pouches. Although of course in no way original they look more period I think. The two larger pouches fit under the spare and the tool rolls go in the little compartment to the left.
This is more or less the first time I use a sewing machine and the details could be better but I think it came out quite OK.

Attachments

• 796F7F86-1C23-4B46-BF9F-1E93E6881642.jpg
    796F7F86-1C23-4B46-BF9F-1E93E6881642.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 745C3B05-1CB1-4FD0-BB62-6AE994745506.jpg
    745C3B05-1CB1-4FD0-BB62-6AE994745506.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 27EC65DC-5634-42A8-8536-1AF4E4CD3B84.jpg
    27EC65DC-5634-42A8-8536-1AF4E4CD3B84.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 157

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Nice job! I've been carrying around the tool roll from my E-Type, but am on the lookout for a vintage doctor's bag to throw some extra tools into.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just get one of the small plastic storage boxes with the snap on top and keep all tools in there.

Chuck9482912

Gold
Country flag
Looks great! I’m jealous. I was with my wife at a thrift store and thought I ended up in the tool bag section. Lots of leather bags just the right size for the Healey. (Turns out it was the purse section, but I got all I needed at a thrift store price!) I also found some stockings to store a scissor jack and lead hammer. The blue round container fits under the spare tire and was cut from a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Some day I’ll upgrade, but for now it’s better than nothing.
IMG_6463.jpgIMG_6464.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpg
    IMG_6462.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 103

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I fit everything I need in a tool kit that fits inside the spare tire. It's never left me stranded in 25 years.

Trunk 2.jpg

Trunk 3.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not very 'elegant' in a 50+ year-old classic.

OH! don't worry about bein elegant man we just makin sure we don't get left on the side of the road no matter where we go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dougie, did your spare tire fit under the hold down blocks in the trunk or did you have to move them? My 165x15 radial wouldn't fit until I moved both blocks up about an inch. What size tire do you have?

Nice job on the tool rolls.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dougie, did your spare tire fit under the hold down blocks in the trunk or did you have to move them? My 165x15 radial wouldn't fit until I moved both blocks up about an inch. What size tire do you have?

Nice job on the tool rolls.

I customized the tire blocks to accommodate the 205x15 Dunlop Sports I run, the tool bag fits with no issue.

'65 BJ8 Trunk.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
MY 165 x 15 fit the blocks but my 185 X 15 tires did not , so the spare is a 165 X 15

On the other hand I cut the spacer block behind the battery down by 50 % and that added an additional 2" to the trunk space.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke, That's a clever idea. 2" additional trunk space doesn't sound like much, but on a Healey, it certainly is an improvement.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I like all of the solutions here. HF features rubberized canvas tool rolls in two sizes. The larger one suits my traveling tool needs. I also store a 12V air pump, slime and a spare tube when the spare tire gets pitched for extra space. A small 1.5T military platform jack usually is strapped inside the spare wheel so that space is reserved. GONZO

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've reworked my boot for maximum utility and neatness, putting in a plywood floor with hinged doors to the storage areas outboard and aft of the fuel tank where I stow spare oil, brake fluid, battery booster, 12VDC air pump, etc. This creates a flat surface for larger stuff such as the side curtain bag and luggage, etc. Going to one 12 volt battery yields a lot of space for stuff I don't have to access often such as a scissor jack. I have a large round Tupperware container under the spare tire for small parts and tools and manuals go in the shelf above the cutoff switch.

Attachments

• BN1BOOT.jpg
    BN1BOOT.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 162

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just get one of the small plastic storage boxes with the snap on top and keep all tools in there.

Philistine :peaceful:

Me - I roll my tools in a freebee cloth shoulder bag with the Audi logo on it. Not elegant but keeps 'em in order.

:cheers:

Bob