• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Today was a good day - the MGB is legal!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Took the afternoon off work and took care of the inspection and registration paperwork for the MGB. We're legal again! Was able to use the 1970 UT plates I had on the car the last time I owned it -- the fellow I sold it to kept them in good shape. Just looks right. So all the papers are signed and we're back at it. Stopped by my house on the way back to where the MGB is currently stored, and had to get a fleet shot. First time they've all been together. And two of them even run!

All told I put about 50 miles on the B today, ran like a champ (though still hard to start when cold). The car is starting to feel like it's really mine again. Big smiles for the sunny afternoon.

fleet2016.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My local DMV is actually really great (small town). Never a line, and the folks there are very friendly and knowledgeable. Given the number of cars I've registered over the last 10 years, I'm surprised they don't recognize me by now. The first time I bought this car it was an import in from Canada, didn't phase them at all. I've dealt with the same lady many times, and she loves the old plates I use.

I was more nervous about the safety inspection, 40+ year old wiring being what it is. Local tire place that does my inspections is pretty friendly to the old cars though, so rarely an issue. Passed cleanly.

drooartz - "You can have any color you want as long as it's OEW."

Truly was not intentional, just worked out that way. At least the MGB has a black interior (the others are red) so they're not exactly the same color -- though they will all wind up on Minilites of some sort. And while they're all white, they're not all the same shade. Subtle variety. VERY subtle. :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We opted for what Florida issues as an "Antique" tag. Found out later there isn't much benefit.

Back when we bought Herself's B (1988!) it had been painted "Amana" white. Now after the re-do it's back to the proper OEW. And with a black interior.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We opted for what Florida issues as an "Antique" tag. Found out later there isn't much benefit.

Back when we bought Herself's B (1988!) it had been painted "Amana" white. Now after the re-do it's back to the proper OEW. And with a black interior.

Doc, Since it went back to OEW, I guess it didn't run any cooler, you know, using frige paint before? :highly_amused: :devilgrin:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My wife and I just came back from 2 1/2 hours in the DMV just trying to transfer an initial plate from her 1997 Maxima she sold to our 2002 Accord. It was finally accomplished and cost us $125. We actually went out for lunch at a local diner during the wait and came back after an hour. They closed the local office many years ago.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

They do antique plates here in Utah, and there is one big benefit -- no emissions testing. Utah does emissions tests depending on what county you live in, so if you're in a county (such as down in Salt Lake City) and have a car 1968 or later, you have to do emissions testing. The antique plate solves that, and the official usage limits are quite reasonable. Where I live there is no emissions testing, so it's not a worry.

This MGB would have been Snowberry (Amana) white originally, but a PO painted it this nice slightly yellowish OEW color. Much nicer.