Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Bill, get some 1275 springs for the front and dearch the rear by an inch - easy fix and the stance will be right. Cost me about $70 - $25 for springs and $45 for dearching rear
The gaping wheelwells don't bother me as much as the prospect of getting the revs down at speed. :wink: Rough measurements show me I have plenty of "headspace" above the tire, and I can go to about a 12 1/2" diameter without running afoul of the front edge of the rear wheelwells... I have 175/70s now... so theoretically, according to the miata.net website referenced earlier, I can go to a 175/85 without increasing my width, and have a diameter of 12.7 inches. That'll give me a 5 mph "bonus" at 60. Hmm...I guess Question I is: will a tire that tall rub on turns? And Question II: is a tire that size actually available, or only a theoretical construct?
edit...the only 175/85 I found on a quick web search is a <span style="font-style: italic">Yaroslavsky motorny zavod</span>...and since I'm not in Russia, that's out.
edit again...going up to a 185/80 is more available stateside; it seems to be popular with the Corvair crowd. Same diameter as the 175/85, but thicker, of course; which brings the whole Wheelwell Interference issue back into play.
There's a couple good articles on wheels and tires at Moss's British Motoring website. Go to https://www.britishmotoring.net/ and click these links:
Summer 2004 issues: Modern Tires for Classic Sportscars
Winter 2005 issue: Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing
My sprite has wire 4" wide wire wheels. I was originally going to use 145/80's but their too difficult to locate. So I'm planning of using 155/80's which are a bit easier to find. Wish I had 4-1/2" wide wheels which would be better for 155's and also allow for going to 165/80's.
I believe that once you go larger than these you have to start looking at wheel offset to prevent rubbing. There isn't much one can do with wire wheels however.
Have you checked Tire Rack? I recently bought some Sumitomos in 165/70-13 from them. That is the ideal size from a tire diameter standpoint and is probably about the max width for the rostyle rim.
Thought some input from a guy that has tryed several may be of interest.
My BE came with a couple of 165/80 zxz michelins on it and I liked the looks and they handled fine on the back so I bought a couple of firestones for the front. They rubbed while turning into parking lots so switched to rear and slightly worn zxz's on front. No more rubbing but now the car is very sqirrelly at speed. Stock rims and I imagine wider would cure the problem.
Had a set of 155/80's on a midget but I like to drive in a somwhat "sporting" manner and they drifted waaay to easy!
Fitted 175/70's cause they were easily available. They stick but car seems a little tall and again squirrely. Also had a set of 165/70's and I think I like them the best and will be fitting them in the future. Course I'm talking stock rims on wire wheeled square arch cars. New wheels will only be .5 wider.
Just my conclusion, KA.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.