Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I asked for an Actron advance type timing light with tachometer for father's day last year (#CP7529). I have been VERY pleased with it. I chose it over the comparable Eqqus brand lights because the Actron had much higher customer reviews. The Actron was also less expensive than Eqqus and significantly less expensive than even used Snap-On and Mac lights.
Visit Amazon.com and search for "Actron CP7529". The price has slowly gone up but it is still a good buy.
I can't make a recommendation on brand but I would definitely suggest an 'advance' type timing light. With an advance timing light you can relocate your timing marks and greatly simplify timing a Spridget.
I spent most of my adult life dealing with crappy parts store timng lights until I finaly wised up and bought a good one, I've got a Mac Tools, dial back unit, the leads and power cables are so much better quailty, and the thing has never failed me since I bought it 5 years ago, don't know what took me so long to buy a good timing light, but finally glad I did.
Nothin' like pulling the thing out of the drawer and as you connect the battery clamps, one of the cheesy crimp connections breaks or slips apart. I hate having to fight/fix poor quality tools. Used a couple of MAC's units as shop ones but got myself a Snappy long ago as MY tool. Money well spent, IMO.
I agree that Mac or Snap-On are great lights. Were I doing this for a living they would certainly be my preferred choice. However, even used they are often beyond the range most of us casual users can justify. I did my research before buying and do not regret my decision.
Many long time team mechanics I been around have used their ear or a simple hand held tach then...simply turned the dizzy to dial in the timing. Not my cup of tea but given a highly modified engine what is one to do other than a dyno.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.