• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 timing 75 tr6

floyd

Very curious, If I set my timing using the static method which is suppose to be 10 degrees btdc, then check it using a timing light with the vacuum line off, should i be seeing 4 dedrees atdc?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hmm. Normally the timing would be the same with the retard disconnected. Are you sure you pulled the line to the distributor and not the line to the EGR valve?

OP
floyd

floyd

yes, I pulled it off right at the distributor. But....thinking about it now, i may of not plugged the line. Would that change things?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
yes, I pulled it off right at the distributor. But....thinking about it now, i may of not plugged the line. Would that change things?
Could have, but in the opposite direction. The vacuum leak might make it idle fast, which could advance the timing (through the centrifugal advance); but you saw it retarded instead.

Northern Neck

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm currently restoring a 1973 TR6. I have had this car for 32 years and had the engine completely rebuilt soon after I purchased it. It was stored for over 20 years and now I'm trying to get it back on the road. I'm having some timing issues I think. The carbs were sent out a month or so ago and have been cleaned and put back in good shape. They are SU carbs that I installed about 25 years ago and were only in operation about 5000miles. The engine has just a little miles more than that. When I got the carbs I installed then and was able to get it running. I have never been able to get the rotor to point to the 7 oclock position as some owners have indicated. I always come up with the 10 oclock position. Now I can't get it started at all so I though maybe I had a timing chain problem. After pulling the TC cover the chain and sprocket look pretty good. I took a couple pictures of the sprockets. In the last picture with the Number 1 and 6 pistons at tdc the punch mark referred to as C is at the top of the camshaft sprocket while the illustration in the Manual shows the proper location at about the 7 oclock position on the camshaft. Any idea of what I am doing wrong. Look forward to any help.
Jimmy

Attachments

• 1973TR6TimingChain.jpg
    1973TR6TimingChain.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 24

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If you can get piston #1 at TDC on the compression stroke with both it's valves fully closed and have the distributor drive gear with the slot in it running 1 to 7 o'clock with the 'big half' on the right hand side of the slot (pictured)....the rotor will point at the spark plug wire for spark plug #1 which would be at approx. 7 o'clock in the distributor cap.
But if if the distributor drive gear was not installed as I just described, unless you want to go thru the act of resetting it, the main thing you need to do is put the spark plug wire for # 1 in the distributor cap wherever the rotor is pointing when #1 piston is at TDC with both valves completely closed. and then proceed from there arranging the spark plug wires in the cap in proper firing order 1 5 3 6 2 4 in a counterclockwise direction.
It may look odd but it'll work.
Distributor drive gear 7o'clock.jpg

ADVANCE 2 and 3 002.JPG

Northern Neck

Freshman Member
Country flag
If you can get piston #1 at TDC on the compression stroke with both it's valves fully closed and have the distributor drive gear with the slot in it running 1 to 7 o'clock with the 'big half' on the right hand side of the slot (pictured)....the rotor will point at the spark plug wire for spark plug #1 which would be at approx. 7 o'clock in the distributor cap.
But if if the distributor drive gear was not installed as I just described, unless you want to go thru the act of resetting it, the main thing you need to do is put the spark plug wire for # 1 in the distributor cap wherever the rotor is pointing when #1 piston is at TDC with both valves completely closed. and then proceed from there arranging the spark plug wires in the cap in proper firing order 1 5 3 6 2 4 in a counterclockwise direction.
It may look odd but it'll work.
View attachment 85204
View attachment 85205
Poolboy, thanks for that GOOD info and the very detailed pictures. I may be communicating with you again today. I getting ready to go back down to the car and double check the TDC on compression stroke, then the position of the valves. I'll let you know. Jimmy