• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tiger project , phaze zero

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here are a couple pics of my NC Tiger after it finally arrived in Ma 9 months after purchase ! Planning on a two year project, if I get lucky. Probably have to learn to weld one of these days. Car is pretty solid underneath but the floors are whipped.

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

If there is any interest I'll keep posting , but slowly as I don't expect progress to be rapid. Bob

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Hi Bob

Looks like you have some work ahead of you.
Its the journey and not the speed so enjoy
Once in awjile let us know howits going

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Would love to see more pictures as you progress. Lots do do there, but should be a good project.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
No, details say MK1A, the headlamp rims seem to match the color and general condition,
side moldings and inside screw tail lamp lenses. None of these are MK2. I'd guess the sunbeam
script on the hood was someone else's later add on.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Right on Mike, it is an early Mk1A built in late '65. Someone has "upgraded" it to a 289 engine but that's as close to a MK2 as it will get.

This one has been cut up in the front. They had a bad (unearned) rep for overheating way back when and this one has an oversize radiator jambed in it along with an elec fan. I hope along the way to put it back to what it should be. The car came with the original radiator and shroud included so I'm part way there.

I had an original Mk1 back in '65 that I put a 289 in and never had a cooling problem. At the time I was big into autocrossing and coincidently our family car was a '65 Mustang. Swapped the engines while my company was on strike for a week ! Bob

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, the hood has a non functional scoop, possibly used for clearance, although it now has an original size 2 bbl carb. Also has holes showing on the inside of the hood (only) for long gone hood pins. Has the top of the firewall butchered up from the previously mentioned hood pins.

Bad joke department. Spent most of the last week trying to fit a window regulator to the drivers side from a spare door that came with the car. Finally got it in this after noon only to find the replacement is also broken !

If anyone has a decent trunk floor they are not planning to use please give me a shout. Thanks, Bob

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Bob:

If you've never owned a Tiger before, you're going to love it. Such wonderful machines in every way, shape and form, with the exception of lots of fussy details courtesy of Lord Rootes. I've got an early Mk 1, so some things won't be the same, but if you ever need photos of anything, please let me know.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill, I'm going to take you up on that picture offer. This car has a non-original dash in it now and a lot of wiring behind the dash is red and red and red. There is a lot of "customization". I have a repro dash minus the veneer (yet)and a replacement wiring harness so at some point I'm going to replace the dash and rewire it from scratch, BUT I have no idea how things behind the dash are laid out ie: heater mechanism, where the various cables run etc.

I have the shop manual but it doesn't touch on the DETAILS very well at all. After that phase the engine compartment will need sorting out. Most everything is there but not necessarily where it should be. This piece will be down the road a ways. I have budgeted two years and at this point expect I will need all that and then some. Thanks, Bob

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Bob:

It would be my pleasure. My car also has a replacement dash installed by the prior owner, but from photographs, it seems that everything is in the right place (though it should all be labeled with neat white letters, which is lacking on mine). I may have a few photos of some friends' cars with original dashboards that I can dig up for you as well. Also, bear in mind that some minor things changed from the Mk I to the Mk Ia, but aside from the fuel pump location and the replacement of the metal lids that cover the top when its down (with much a more sensible traditional cloth cover), I'm not sure what else may be different.

Best,

B.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Bill, found another semi-useless question. What holds the heater controls to the back of the dash? I have part of an Alpine dash and it looks like there were bosses molded into the back of the plastic dash. Since I didn't remove the original dash I don't have a reference. Thanks, Bob

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Three metal brackets that went on over the studs for the heater control cover. Center one had 2 arms, one to each side. Outer ones had one arm, each pointing towards the center. Easy to make, Just center the controls in the slots and use bits of cardboard to make patterns flat againdst the dash for the studs and bent out over the controls. Bit of 20 gauge sheet, some work with the snips and drill for the holes, bend 90 degrees and you're done.

BTY, there should also be a flat piece on the ignition switch to keep it from rotating went the key is turned, in case you're also missing that.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Bob Claffie said:
Hi Bill, found another semi-useless question. What holds the heater controls to the back of the dash? I have part of an Alpine dash and it looks like there were bosses molded into the back of the plastic dash. Since I didn't remove the original dash I don't have a reference. Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob -- Let me see if I can get some photos and send them to you. Can you send me a PM with your email address?

Just to keep you inspired, I fired up our Tiger over the weekend -- I hadn't taken her out since last fall. She started right up and she rattled all the windows in the neighborhood! Mwahahahahahaha! :devilgrin:

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hit a milestone today. Pulled the plugs and oiled up the cylinders and went at it with a new battery. After about a minute or two(seemed like forever) the oil pressure popped right up to 60 lbs with no peculiar sounds. No idea last time the engine fired but it was longer ago than 2000 so I am very happy at this point. If I can jury rig a fuel supply I may try to fire the engine later in the week.

Bob

K

KSIS

Bob,
I am picking up a MK1 Alpine sometime next week. The gentleman also has a garage full of parts from another car he stripped. The MK1 is pretty far gone body wise but all is there. Let me kno what you may need. I'll send pics when I get it.