• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Three things could make life very different

Basil

Administrator
Boss
There are three major technological areas that are coming to the fore and could change life as we know it in profound ways - some for the good, but some not so good.

1. Artificial Intelligence
2. Quantum Computing
3. Spatial Computing

Things are going to get very interesting in the next few years.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Agree with you there!

History shows us that we humans often create something which eventually takes on a life of its own.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Agree with you there!

History shows us that we humans often create something which eventually takes on a life of its own.
The industrial revolution changed our lives. The internet changed our lives a lot. These three things are going to change our lives exponentially.

Country flag
I think particularly for actors and entertainment they're just postponing the inevitable. Instead of spending millions and taking months to make a film, what if all they needed to do was put together an outline, lay out locations and provide a physical description of the main characters. Let for example, someone who resembles a young Brad Pitt and Maureen O'Sullivan, to mix eras that never would. Resembles would then mean well it isn't technically them, so no royalties or salaries. Plus, no travel costs, studios, working behind the scenes people and so on. Then in a few days, ready to review rather than months, and if some parts or all don't work, toss it since the money was spent to create.

I can see other things with similar cost cutting since big business is all about trying to get outgoing cash to zero with incoming as high as possible.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My daughter (designer) lost her job last year because the boss figured AI could do it cheaper and easier.

My greater concern is the upcoming election cycle. Even here on BCF we post many (most?!) images in the humor section that are fake - but we have to be constantly vigilant to remember that what we are seeing isn't real.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My daughter (designer) lost her job last year because the boss figured AI could do it cheaper and easier.

My greater concern is the upcoming election cycle. Even here on BCF we post many (most?!) images in the humor section that are fake - but we have to be constantly vigilant to remember that what we are seeing isn't real.

JP - agree with you 101%. I remember when Pub had discussions going almost every day. Now seems that the action is in Humor - where we mostly see cartoons, often-doctored photos, and jokes quickly copied from other sites - but with very little discussion.

In talking with the young folks I work with, I find they believe just about everything they see on their social media: text, photos, videos, etc. When election ads become even more filled with AI stuff... and millions believe them ...

scary

Country flag
With the way things already can be, unless you were actually at some event/speech/etc you have to pretty much be skeptical and research to try as best as possible to verify. I've had young folks tell me they prefer social media for news as it is easier and faster since they don't need to see all the story, just quotes and such. Or know anything about who is posting and their background.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
With the way things already can be, unless you were actually at some event/speech/etc you have to pretty much be skeptical and research to try as best as possible to verify. I've had young folks tell me they prefer social media for news as it is easier and faster since they don't need to see all the story, just quotes and such. Or know anything about who is posting and their background.
And the so-called media isn’t always reliable, sadly

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Ancient Chinesd curse< : May you live in interesting times,