• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thought of the day-Innovative car repairs

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hadn't thought about it in years.

In the '70's my dad had a '58 DKW as his hobby car. He had the ignition out for some reason and replaced it with a light switch. oYu turned on the switch, touched the loose wire to one of the contacts and the car started. I'm driving it one day, out with my friends and we get pulled over to a roadside random safety test. The tester was confused to say the least and I was so flustered that when it was time to leave the testing area I forgot to turn the switch and it wouldn't start. Finally calmed down enough to remember. The car itself got a warning because one of the headlights was aimed improperly. My father grabbed a screwdriver, drove back to the testing location, popped off the trim ring and adjusted the headlight. easy peasy. Needless to say the testers had never ever seen a DKW before. :ROFLMAO:
My brother had one as his everyday car when he was stationed in Germany. Don't think he used a light switch for ignition, though.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My shop partner has a '50 Ford pickup that uses a light switch for the ignition. But at least he hid it under the dash.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Had a '68 BMW 1600 that didn't have a functional ignition switch. No light switch. Connected two wires together to turn the ignition on and momentarily touched another two wires together to run the starter.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
May be an image of road

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Indycar tow vehicle? It has the staggered suspension.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And you know there has to be a story behind it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1669729895651.png

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
This makes it easy to work on the underside of the car without raising your hands above your shoulders.
1669821662553.png