• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

Those little MG Midget rims

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Offline
Hello! Been away a little too long. I realized the tires the Midget has on it now are the ones I bought back in 2003. Well, back then I had a hard time finding a shop to balance them, and the one shop I found who could do it back then is no longer around. Seems the holes in the stock rims are just too small to fit the spindles on the balancing machines that most shops use. Anyone know of some chains who can?
 
I use a Honda Motorcycle / ATV shop near my home to mount and spin balance tires for my Bugeye and 10” wheeled Minis. All of those are on alloy wheels vs steelies.
 
IIRC, stock rims are lug-centric not hub centric, so your choices are even narrower than you think. When you find a place, call to ask if they have the adapters to do it properly.
 
I gave it a shot, and after getting the new tires, used a bubble balancer off Amazon and some Harbor Freight stick on weights. Must have worked, I took it for a test drive and no shakes or wobbles. I think they were better off this time than when the last shop did them, it had a shake going on around 50-55.
 
Back
Top