• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This just came up from the You Tube rabbit hole.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Looks like she's playing a modern "baroque trumpet" (17th century). You played only with the natural harmonics, but had one, two, or three holes to change the harmonic base. Piston and rotary valves hadn't been invented yet, so "flute holes" had to serve the purpose to add notes that the natural harmonics didn't provide, and/or to slightly alter natural harmonics sharp or flat.

That is a *great* performance of Sound the Trumpet by the way. Wow.

Watch how these guys play natural (no valve) horns in early 18th century Bach; instead of opening/closing holes in the horn, they modify the sound by using right hand inside the bell, to shorten/lengthen the air column.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is a baroque trumpet it's based off the old natural trumpets but has vent holes added to make it easier to play for modern players (the natural trumpet has no vent holes and all intonation must be done through lipping).

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't know how I missed Tom's post, I apologize for the superfluous post.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In the video they are at one point playing in the Globe Theater. If you are ever in London that is a must visit. It was built or rebuilt as an Exact copy of the origonal Globe theater which was burnt down in 1613. Actors say it brings Shakespeare to life in a way that no other theater does. It is open air with a thached roof covering some of the seating.

David
Having read this blog I corrected my post. I had thought it burnt in the great fire of London in 1666.

https://blog.londonpass.com/did-you-know-10-facts-about-shakespeares-globe-theatre/

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - if you want to hear "natural", check out this clip. This is likely what horns and trumpets sounded like 300 and 400 years ago, when there was no "standard tuning" and ears weren't looking for "perfect".

(Makes one appreciate bagpipes ...)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think most musicians who aren't bras players still see brass as sounding like this. Trumpet players hate to tune because each one thinks he is right.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
... Trumpet players hate to tune because each one thinks he is right.

That is funny!

(In the video, I wonder if the guy at the top of the steps is frantically waving his hat, trying to get them to S T O P !

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
In the video they are at one point playing in the Globe Theater. If you are ever in London that is a must visit. It was built or rebuilt as an Exact copy of the origonal Globe theater which was burnt down in 1613. Actors say it brings Shakespeare to life in a way that no other theater does. It is open air with a thached roof covering some of the seating.

David
Having read this blog I corrected my post. I had thought it burnt in the great fire of London in 1666.

https://blog.londonpass.com/did-you-know-10-facts-about-shakespeares-globe-theatre/

+1 We were there last year and loved it! Great deal 5 pounds for standing in front of the stage - we paid up for seats. Merry Wives of Windsor. I didn't understand most of it but still so much fun. We live near Stratford (ontario) which has a Shakespeare theatre - so much more pretentious

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Alison Balsom Henry Purcell piece was beautiful. The counter tenor and trumpet really are a good combination. Generally speaking the "period" instrument tend to be a bit softer than contemporary instrument. Trouble is when played loudly the pitch and tone gets a bit hard for our ears to listen. Witness the previous post of the horns. Interesting the the guys performing the Bach Brandenburg concerto were hand stopping to improve with but the other players did not.

https://youtu.be/fNqJ8mED1VE provides a the sound of the horns and the trumpet of the period - as Handel may have heard them. By the way, the conductor reminds me of Ming the Merciless.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They all seem to be dressed like they are going hunting (Fox) so maybe they are not all musicians.

David

David - if you want to hear "natural", check out this clip. This is likely what horns and trumpets sounded like 300 and 400 years ago, when there was no "standard tuning" and ears weren't looking for "perfect".

(Makes one appreciate bagpipes ...)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
They all seem to be dressed like they are going hunting (Fox) so maybe they are not all musicians.

David

Yep, sometimes I've heard groups where I've thought they're not all musicians myself. :jester:

Great video of the Fireworks music with old-style instruments. Thanks Trevor. One big difference tho' is that the Fireworks music originally had no stringed instruments at all (by order of the King!), and was first performed outdoors (Green Park, London) 1749. That performance had a few hiccups:

"The [fireworks] display was not as successful as the music itself: the weather was rainy causing many misfires and in the middle of the show [a viewing pavilion] caught fire. Also, a woman's clothes were set alight by a stray rocket and other fireworks burned two soldiers and blinded a third. Yet another soldier had blown his hand off during an earlier rehearsal for the 101 cannons which were used during the event." (from Wikipedia)

Gee, sounds like Kiss.

Tom M.
<ducks and runs>

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
True,
I have a recprding fo the Fireworks - 26 oboes, nine cavalry serpents, twelve bassoons, nine each horns and trumpets, side drums and tympani. I had a recording made years ago by Charles Mackerras conducting an ensemble comprised of London musicians.