• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinking of some tunes....

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am considering putting in a stereo in the bugeye, something classic in style but Ipod capable. Any suggestions from those who have tried this?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Were it me, I'd probably mount a small amp somewhere out of sight so there'd be no visible radio. I've thought about adding such a system to my MGB -- all you'd need is a jack somewhere and the whole thing stays hidden.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have also been thinking of how I might add an unobtrusive but modern stereo to my BT7. One option would be to get a set of bluetooth speakers that could be mounted in a variety of ways depending on the car. These speakers come in all shapes and sizes and are not particularly expensive. You could send music from any bluetooth enabled device (ipod, phone, etc) without the need for separate amp. I've seen several nice versions that run on 12V, but I'd be worried about the whole positive-negative ground thing.

Anybody else thought-of or tried this route?

Keith

Morris

Yoda
Keith, I think the bluetooth idea is really good. I think the challenge will be finding speakers that are loud enough. However, an intrepid fellow with a soldering iron could probably figure out how to pipe the bluetooth speaker output to a conventional auto amp.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith, I think the bluetooth idea is really good. I think the challenge will be finding speakers that are loud enough. However, an intrepid fellow with a soldering iron could probably figure out how to pipe the bluetooth speaker output to a conventional auto amp.

Hadn't thought of that aspect (which is surprising given the engine and wind noise in my Healey!). I suppose I will now have to trot down to my local electronics store and see how loud they can be. Another advantage is that many of these speakers are rated for "marine" or "outdoor" use, which describes the conditions in my car exactly.

AvionicsTech

Were it me, I'd probably mount a small amp somewhere out of sight so there'd be no visible radio. I've thought about adding such a system to my MGB -- all you'd need is a jack somewhere and the whole thing stays hidden.

This is actually my plan for the '69. If all you want is to be able to listen to an MP3 player, and have no desire for actual AM/FM radio, this would be the best way to go about listening to tunes while keeping a "classic" look. Nothing more classic in a bugeye than no visible radio at all.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

You can buy Bluetooth adapters, no hacking required - unless you want to :smile:

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd update it in case others are still looking for solutions. We all know the problems associated with putting tunes in a Healey. In my case, the car is positive ground, which limits my choices in stereo equipment. Although I know that positive ground "retro" radios are available, there just didn't seem to be a good spot to mount one and I wasn't sure it would look all that good even if I found a spot.

In an earlier post I brought up the idea of using bluetooth speakers,but there was some concern expressed that they might not be loud enough. After some research, I purchased a set of these speakers for $55 -- Creative D100. The speakers connect easily to my smartphone and are powered by 4 AA batteries, so there's no electrical connection to the car. Battery life is supposed to be 25 hours, and I have at least 5 hours on my first set of batteries.

The speakers look pretty good sitting on the tranny tunnel, and I used a little velcro to keep them from sliding off every time I took a fast corner. They can be easily removed to prevent theft or to use them for other purposes. And they are loud. Loud enough to be heard at 60 mph with the top down, which is pretty remarkable. The volume can be easily adjusted on the front of the unit, or from the smartphone or whatever bluetooth player you're using.

So far, I'm pretty happy with this solution. It required no modifications to the car, it was relatively cheap, and it sounds pretty good (except when my son plays rap through it).
speakers sized.jpg

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just got a retro sound model 2 its Ipad and iphone compatible
now i just have to stick it in the jag. running a sony in the spridget works ok
my big tip is get boat speakers because they are engineered to get wet!
steve