• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinking about getting an XK120

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Matt: Have been up close and personal with Hyman. He was in the St. Louis Jag club, and I had visited his old showroom many times. His prices are pretty dead on the market. Look at the details of the car if going for a concours. The car may be off some on details but his prices reflect that. The 120s he has now are pretty on the mark. If you need legroom and easier road car, you may want to think 140. Rack and pininon steering and more leg room and basically same car, except for the monster bumpers. Still non-syncro first, more engine ( not by much ). Good Luck, Hyman is a #1 seller and gentleman in my book. Jay Leno has bought from him too! (if that means anything)

D

Deleted member 8987

He's got a nice XK-140MC, roadster, pull-me-over red.

OP
P

Pizzi348

I heard it may not be so much fun to drive. I do love the way it looks. Do you think I'd be even more comfortable in a later model like a 150? It's not as beautiful, but still a nice looking car all together, and if it would more usable it might be worth it. What do you think?

https://www.hymanltd.com/search/Details.asp?stockno=3818&recordCount=32

It would be nice to drive both, but it's not like these things are that available to test drive. I do like to drive my cars.

OP
P

Pizzi348

Are they that horrible on maintenance?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
in my opinion, an XK-150 coupé is the better most developed car of the XK Series, and just as beautiful, and the most expensive to get. sort of like an MG-A coupé on steroids.

Maintenance? these cars are simple to fix.

But if you have that kind of money, why not go for a Aston Martin of the same period? or a BMW 328 coupé of the 1930's ? (I like hardtops as you can see, I do not care for roadsters).

Ex

OP
P

Pizzi348

I like hardtops as well.

I think Aston Martin;s or a 30's BMW is out of my price range. XK150FHC's seem to be trading in the $60k - $100k range. I think an Aston Martin of the 50's is in the $200k range. Am I wrong with those figures?

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Exotexs said:
beautiful to look at, but they drive like a truck.

Ex

If you compare a 2009 car to most cars from the 1950's not many are nice to drive.

A new car might be a boring pleasure to drive but the old cars are FUN to drive.

OP
P

Pizzi348

Hey Bruce - I do tend to agree with you. I'm happy puttering around in my 26 Model T, and I think my Healey is really fun to drive. Have you driven an XK120 before? I'm thinking it's like a bigger AH100, maybe not as nimble.

D

Deleted member 8987

Personal opinion only:

I never liked the fixed-heads, in 120, 140 OR 150.
Just doesn't do it for me.

The 140 is the "upgrade" to the 120 (if it wasn't, there wouldn't have BEEN a 140).
Like a 1949 Ford and a 1950.
The 1950 was the "fix" for the 49's.
Far more 1950's are still on the road than 1949's, yet far more 1949's were built than 1950's (year and a half production on a 1949).
The 150's just look like they are on steriods.
Remember, this is a personal opinion only.

I don't know if "drive like a truck" is fair......I drive a truck, and there is NO comparison!

The 140's have the same sleek lines as a 120, have a bigger cockpit, handle a bit better, if I recall, stop a bit better.

But, if you want a fixed head, go for it!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Pizzi348 said:
Hey Bruce - I do tend to agree with you. I'm happy puttering around in my 26 Model T, and I think my Healey is really fun to drive. Have you driven an XK120 before? I'm thinking it's like a bigger AH100, maybe not as nimble.

I have only ridden in an XK150 once a long time ago. My interest in Jaguars started when a friend bought a black XK140 coupe with chrome wires and a red interior. I have never seen a car as nice as that and love the coupes. Nothing beats the lines of the side windows.

That aside, I don't race any of my cars nor try to beat anyone off the line at a red light. My enjoyment is a pleasurable cruise at legal speeds or a car show so how well one of these old cars handles in corners or can pass on the Interstate is not any concern.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I have driven them all at one time or another. For me anyway, it is hard to pick a favorite. The 120 is the purest, closest to Sir Williams idea. The 140 is "corrected" for the American Market. The 150 is just evolved more, but surely not as pretty. It will stop better though.

I LOVE the 120 FHCs. Given the choice of the 2 presented, I like the M model, with the wire wheels, no spats, etc, but that is strictly personal taste. The 120 drives great in the context of it's day. The steering is heavy by modern standards, and the brakes are not ...uhm, stellar, but they work fine in normal driving. The exhaust note has never been bettered. Working the Moss gearbox is a learned skill, but once mastered, they really are not so trickey to use. Finally, nothing stops traffic, or drops jaws like a 120. I once caused an accident ( thankfully did not involve me) just waiting in a turn lane to pull into a parking lot with a 120 roadster.

I have a customer that has a beautiful black 120 roadster. The car is largely unrestored, and he drives it A LOT, including day trips of a couple hundred miles with no problems. Like all new purchases there will likely be a period of "fettleing" to work out the bugs, but in general it should be reliable and easy enough to maintain.

Country flag
My 2 cents, for what they're worth.... :smile:

Both of the 120's present very well in the pictures. Closely priced to each other. The blue one would be the better show car. The color and wire wheels are very eye catching. The green one would be the better driver. Steel wheels seem to be the preferred choice for cars that get driven, based on posts I have seen here. Not that either are bad, opinion seems to be that steel wheels are just more maintenance free. Plus they are easier to clean!

Based on the pictures, it seems the green one gets driven more than the blue one. The blue one seems "slighty" crisper in fit and finish but just by a hair.

Again, just my 2 cents.....

Visit both cars, don't be in a hurry, take your time. When you're done, go get something to eat. Enjoy your meal and when you've finished, you'll have an idea which one - if either - you're going back to.

Frankly, if I woke up the next morning to find either one in my garage, I wouldn't be disappointed!!

Let us know how it goes!!

OP
P

Pizzi348

Thanks for the response Peter and Jesse. You posts were great. I certainly will keep you posted when I do get my "new" Jag - I'll certainly post it here.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
XK120 Replica OTS, Originally this kit was designed to accept Ford Mustang II engine and suspension. This is a kit that has never been assembled. I still have the original kit frame with all new chrome trim, new interior, instruments new top and build manual. My plan was to only use the skin with a 94 xjs guts on a new frame. It's a bigger project than I thought so I have to retreat from the idea. I will include the XJS parts car if that is the way you want to go for a reasonable offer. Call if you have any interest. Advanced age and poor health forces me to sell.
My phone number is 650*455*1110

Country flag
Any update?? :smile: