• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The value in 5 speed conversion

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
We all know converting to a 5 speed is not for value conscious.

I see Bugeyes for sell and some mention that they are 5 speed cars, does this actually increase the value of car to cover cost of conversion. Does it just make the car a notch better than a standard Bugeye.

Appears to me the value is in the owners enjoyment only. Like most modifications this is to be expected.

Do you feel a 5 speed conversion adds value to a Bugeye and what amount. Seems the prices of Bugeyes are all over the place now, hard for me to tell.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For me it does add value. Having the ability to drop into first gear while moving is huge, and is something that really bothered me about my previous car with the rib case. Also, 5th gear, which is overdrive, is great if you are doing some freeway miles and larger road trips. With the 3.9 ratio in the rear end and the 5 speed, I am spinning about 2600rpm at 65mph. I guess it really is all about you and your expectations from the car and the driving experience you are after.
Now as for how much value?? I'd say if you do the work yourself, it will cost around $2000 in parts to do the conversion, if you find the transmission for a reasonable price and it doesn't need a rebuild. Adding $2k to the price of a car for the conversion seems reasonable to me.

nomad

Yoda
I have a 5 speed behind a 1275 in a midget and a 5 speed behind a A15 Datsun engine in a midget. Love them both but I like the BMC 4 speed enough that I'm just going to put a 3.7 diff in my bug eye.

Six of one...half dozen of another!:smile-new:

Kurt.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have had various combinations. 948 with a smooth case. 1275 with a rib case and now a 1275 with a Datsun 5 speed. The enjoyment I get with the 1275 and the 5 speed is without a doubt the most fun you can get out of a Bugeye. I also feel it is much safer when going up steep hills and when driving on the freeway. Syncro in first is really nice to have and 5th gear is beautiful. I could never go back to a 4 speed and 43 horsepower. Or even a 4 speed with say 70 horsepower. The combination of a 1275 and a 5 speed is unbeatable in my mind. I agree with everything Bugedd is saying except I am not sure about the value thing. Since I am hoping never to sell my Bugeye while I am alive I will let someone else worry about the value thing. The only thing is my Bugeye gives me extreme pleasure the way it is configured and that is all that matters to me.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
So basically the value in a 5 speed conversion is in hi way driving and being able to downshift to 1st gear. I understand this.

If car is just going to be used for short trips around town the money spent would be not of a great value, also would not be returned when sold. eventually all cars are sold.

I just seeing the price of these cars appreciating and thinking it may be best to keep the original 4 speed. At my age I really don't see driving the car on long day trips

nomad

Yoda
So basically the value in a 5 speed conversion is in hi way driving and being able to downshift to 1st gear. I understand this.

If car is just going to be used for short trips around town the money spent would be not of a great value, also would not be returned when sold. eventually all cars are sold.

I just seeing the price of these cars appreciating and thinking it may be best to keep the original 4 speed. At my age I really don't see driving the car on long day trips

The value of the 5 speed may be returned on sale of the car since its deemed highly desirable but it sound's like in your case personally you probably won't benefit.

Kurt/

BillW103

Jedi Trainee
I have never driven another Sprite or Midget so I have nothing to compare to. The rib case I have is a 74 I think. Going up in the gears over 3k RPM I have to double clutch. All down shifting is double clutch. I don't know if this normal.
I had the 4.22 in at first and in town it was grate but I didn't like going on the freeway. The 3.9 is better on the freeway but doggie of the line. If you never leave town go with the 4.22 and 4 speed.

nomad

Yoda
I have never driven another Sprite or Midget so I have nothing to compare to. The rib case I have is a 74 I think. Going up in the gears over 3k RPM I have to double clutch. All down shifting is double clutch. I don't know if this normal.
I had the 4.22 in at first and in town it was grate but I didn't like going on the freeway. The 3.9 is better on the freeway but doggie of the line. If you never leave town go with the 4.22 and 4 speed.

Bill, I'm afraid your trans is worn. The only place I double clutch is going from second to first.

Kurt.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a Rivergate kit I love driving and allowing others to drive my car.
this is easy it works has worked for 13-14 years now it's quite it shifts nice
it's full sync youngster don't struggle shifting they get to have a good experience without me cringing and gears griding
everyone has fun
and for me that's what it's all about so true it's not a purest car but this is fun to see friends enjoying it to.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
this is about the 10th MG/Sprite I have owned, so transmission 1st gear isn't that big a deal. I have driving commercial vehicles so transmission shifting is 2nd nature.

thanks for input

nomad

Yoda
First manual transmission vehicle I ever drove was a 52 Studebaker 2 ton truck with Studebaker's flat six. NO sycros in the transmission!! I got very good at double clutching! Had to shift constantly.

Kurt.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
First manual transmission vehicle I ever drove was a 52 Studebaker 2 ton truck with Studebaker's flat six. NO sycros in the transmission!! I got very good at double clutching! Had to shift constantly.

Kurt.

don't forget the big steering wheel that kept your arm muscle toned

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I figure with the graphite throw-out bearing, the less I shift the longer it will last.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I have nothing to add to the Datsun thing, but....I LOVE the sc/cr box. Guess in many ways it is inferior to
the stock box. Loud, whiny, un synchro first that is tall. Heck I run a 4.2 just to save my clutch on the
start up the driveway. BUT....where I live/drive make a sc/cr box and a low rear gear a weapon.
I am sure it hurts the sales price too.
Fun/cool factor.
:cool-new:

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I have never driven one with 5 speeds....

I have never been unhappy with only 4....

Maybe I'm easy to please....

I don't have any objections to 5, but I do think the conversion is probably too far from the spirit of what *I think of* as "British Motoring"...

No judgement, just my own feelings.