• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The final straw

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hap Waldrop said:
I know I may catch some flack for this comment, but here's what I tell folks on engine parts, don't buy from the two biggies MM and VB, they offer like zero choice in quality, and lot of Asian made parts. When I buy engine parts, a piston ain't a piston, a camshaft ain't a camshaft, a lifter ain't a lifter, a bearing set ain't a bearing set. Then if the big two does have anything trick on thier menu, they rape you, sorry I don't have time for that dog and poney show. I want choices, and I deal with companies that offer me choices, choices that represent quality. The big two offer one of pistons for 1275 for example, that is laughable, they must be atleast 15 off the shelf piston offerings offered for a 1275, why only offer me one choice. Why charge more for hand selected stock lifter checked for hardness, when I can just buy a set of really good quality lifters for less, why offer me a no-name camashaft, when there is well over a dozen offerings. Sorry the big two just don't cut for me when it comes to engine parts, not even close. I'm glad the big two are there in case I need set of floor mats, a carpet set, or such items, but for engine parts I'm not wasting my time with them.

When it come to quality engine parts you need to look outside the big two and the vendor that only sell for the big two. here's my short list of preferred A-series engine part vendors. I'm not saying there isn't more good vendors out there that sell good stuff, but these are the guys I've dealt with and am pleased with.

APT
Mini Spares/Mini Mania
The Winners Circle
The B Hive
British Parts Norhtwest
Seven Enterprises
Engle Import
Hap, several of the people you listed above get their parts directly from Moss or use the same supplier as Moss...& Moss does offer options for those who are trying to save a buck and those who want a different product...yes, they may offer a top line product also but lots of what you get from them is the same thing you'd get from Moss.

I also go to David Anton at APT when I want a cam ground or other specialty items for one of my 'keepers'.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
If you want to build a quality motor with better than spec parts, the big two are not for you.
I've bought tons from APT and have gotten nothing but the best parts, advice and service from them.

With the pound at $1.42, several English Mini racing shops come to mind. I just got some great pistons for the turbo sprite from Avonbar racing. If you have a pal in Australia willing to do you a favor, then the Hypatech pistons are a bargain. Depending on the dollar vs the Aussie dollar, consider Colin Dodds, the guy who made the great gold Bugeye boot arrows for the 50th.

The web is amazing.

Glen Byrns

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: :iagree:

Th' web will sort this out.

And glad to see Engle and "Seven" on Hap's list, too!!! :thumbsup:

nomad

Yoda
I have to put in my 0.02. I've been fooling with british cars for over 40 years. The whole idea of the british car industry using parts for many marque'es from single suppliers to attain economys of scale should make the after market parts business very lucrative for the biggies. A friend sold his MGB after it dumped all of its coolant on his garage floor while sitting over the winter. Rotten look alike hose. When the supplier ordered those rocker shafts he did'nt order just one. He ordered a box full and the time it would take to check the quality of many dollars worth of parts when they came in was miniscule. No excuse!!!!
When British Motor Heritage came into existance I thought we would be better off but like so many institution's now days they are apparently are content to put there name on parts, draw there salary, and do nothing.
We need to raise a ruckus. Haps list of small companys that do a good job is a great help. Maybe a endorsement group of parts user's is needed.
Had to spout,KA

tony barnhill said:
Hap, several of the people you listed above get their parts directly from Moss or use the same supplier as Moss...& Moss does offer options for those who are trying to save a buck and those who want a different product...yes, they may offer a top line product also but lots of what you get from them is the same thing you'd get from Moss.

I also go to David Anton at APT when I want a cam ground or other specialty items for one of my 'keepers'.

Tony, it is true that some of the listed suppliers do get their "normal" or "cheaper" engine parts offerings from Moss, but 100% Moss vendors, not hardly. For exmple, our engine came with Vandervell VP tri metal bearings from the factory, when did it become acceptable to use a lesser quality in our rebuilds, never in my opinion, and while all of these vendors do infact offer the lesser quality products, because the market demands it for the less informed, they also offer a product equal or beeter than what the factory offered.
Moss offers one piston for the 1275, a stock replacment, thats it. While they have started to offer some performance components the pricing is out to lunch, who in their right mind would order these items from them, you already heard me talk about the alloy valve retianers that are 200%+ above the rest of the vendors, heres some other examples of Moss offered performance items grossly overpriced.

APT lifters $149.95, Tony if you called David and paid retail you still be paying less than you woul after your vendor discount.

I gave the Moss people grief about ths one, tested standard lifter sets, they test each one to insure thier hardness level is acceptable for a whopping $191.95, Ok why would anyone do that, they be better off to pay the too high Moss price and get the APT lifters which are way superior to begin with, and now my real question, who gets the lifters that didn't pass the hardness test :smile:

Vernier timing gear sets 319.95, this is $100+ higher than you can get it elsewhere at retail pricing

$399.00 for what appears to be APT camshafts, thats $150 higher than you you can buy elsewhere at retail.

One of my engine customers that is doing a full restoration on a Bugeye and using Moss for alot of his parts, so he will easily reach the full sale discount which I believe is 17% off right now, he wanted to know what we could order for the engine from them, all I could come up with is the Payen gaskets sets and a water pump, everything else was either lower quality than I wanted to use, or grossly over priced, here's a good example, he wanted a high end LCB header, Moss wants 389.95, Winners Circle offers it everyday fo $259.00 retail, even with Moss deepest sale discount, thats like $75.00 higher

I could keep going, beleive me. The vendors I mentioned in my earlier post some are Moss vendors but they offer better examplse than Moss offers and at much better pricing if Moss does offer the same part, other vendors I mentioned, sell to Moss, some have nothing to with Moss, all of them work outside the Moss standard offerings, which are pretty lame to say the least in quality engine parts.

FWIW alot of Moss vendors are somewhat tiffed right now, as retail pricing has dropped (good for most of you all) and distribtor pricing has been rasied, this will mean tough times for smaller vendors, say less than $50K a year, alot of those folks will be looking elsewhere to survive in the business.

Moss serves a great purpose in our hobby, and I'm glad they are there, alot of their pricing is good, and alot of thier parts are quality, but if they want my engine part business, then you've got to offer better quality, and at something that reflect competitive pricing, and that ain't happen right now. So while I buy like alot of parts yearly in the industry right now, Moss get less than $1000 of that a year, because as engine builder they simply don't offer what I want, and I have expressed my concerns loud and clear to them, so if they want me, they need to get in the game, they are not even in the ballpark right now!

Tony with the upcoming changes in Moss's retail/vendor price structuring, I bet a year from now, you'll be whistling a different tune. Oh and FWIW I long ago gave up on the Long family, as did many other shops and vendors.

In closing, all this may look like I'm picking on the big two, maybe I'm am, but tell me this, if we the vendors and customers don't call these compaines' bluff to grow our hobby, who will?

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
What Hap says - I got my most recent Moss catalogue and laughed. They now list Rimflow valves for $54/each. Funny, I just paid $30 less per piece from Minisport. I understand you need a high margin to support a business with expensive printed catalogues and what-not, but when it comes to something important - like pistons - I go solely to Minimania, ATP and other known vendors of high-quality, purpose-made items.