• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The basic Lucas/OPUS 1975 xj6 era principles???

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
I have asked many questions regarding my wiring mishap on the XJ6C. I have come to the conclusion that very few vendors/parts suppliers even acknowledge that XJ6's from 1975 on were even fitted with the OPUS Electronic Ignition. The distributor is 45DE6, the Lucas amp mounted behind the coil, and if my diagrams are correct, had a standard coil with a ballast resistor at the side. This is pretty much the extent of all of my research on my car's ignition system.
The Crane module has taken the place of the long-gone Lucas amp, but I am thinking I may just revert to all original. I am having no luck in getting the car to start at all. Even though the carbs were in the tuning phase when I knocked the ignition wiring silly (at the coil, ballast and possibly a few more.._), I believe there must be a relay, a ground wire, a wire to the alternator or starter that I have knocked loose as well. I have spark at all the right places, my coil tests fine, the run (white/blue I think) is ballasted as directed, then to POS coil with the White start wire.
If anyone has an inkling as to what else I need to be looking for please chime in.... The good weather will be gone soon and I am really desperate for a few more drives. Money is tight right now, so I am trying to avoid an expert shop, and I really find the challenge fun, or did at first. My frustration level is rising with each re-check and subsequent let-down. I remember when this wiring accident happened, something like a ground wire or a wire to a spade on the alternator was also found to be disconnected. Maybe I am missing several other areas of the complete ignition system, full circle. ANY help is much appreciated, folks! Thanks for letting me vent as well.

Brian /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
Early Morgan +8's used the opus system, too.

The opus parts can be very hard to come by, and expensive when you find them. It is rumored that the opus systems were unreliable, but I suspect most mistrust them because they were "different".

sounds like you are in kind of a quandry with "where do I go from here" I assume the original module, pickup, and related wiring aren't there. Would be expensive to go back, i think. Crane systems have a good reputation and support. No shame in sticking with what you've got. if you retrofit, it would probably be easiest to revert back to a points distributor, or find a pertronix setup.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Why not convert to a series 3 set up? There is a separate amp that contains an easily replaceable GM chip.You would need a complete distributor with pick up, and an amp. Wire it up per a series 3 diagram, and off you go.There are plenty of series 3's in junkyards, so just grab the amp, distributor and coil, and if you are adventureous, cut off as much of the wiring to the coil, discard the injection trigger wire, and I think the rest of it matches up as far as colours go.If you go this way, I have really good series 3 wiring diagrams. If I remember correctly, Jaguar offered a kit to update series 2s "back in the day" in just this manner.

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
"There are plenty of series 3's in junkyards......."

I've put a few there myself!

Both great ideas, sounds as if either would eliminate alot of guess-work from here on out. I'm checking the parts out now on both options, and if you don't mind I'm sure I'll have many questions in a few days. Thank you both gentlemen, you've given me a ray of hope. Yes, the XJ6 OPUS parts are all but impossible to find, except at the very high-end British (ENGLAND) OEM parts suppliers, and then the several quirky changes made during the emmissions frenzy of 1975-1977 and the prepping to switch to F.I. at the same time make the XJC's about immpossible to restore to original, or to even determine what is original equipment. This has been an ordeal, but I knew it was going too well..... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Best Regards and still open to more ideas as always,

Brian

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Jeff,
I am all ears on the idea you have proposed. I don't know what this would entail, could you give me the low-down on the upgrade? Thank you for the suggestion. The XJ6C is still in the shop, but just found out that it won't be worked on until probably late February. That gives me the option and time to decide what to do and the mechanic will do what I want to correct the ignition issues. I hope for a reply soon from you so that I can run this option by him before he begins the work. Thank you so much, sounds like the way to go here.

Best Regards,
Brian

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
By the way, just a question, using the 45 DM6 would do away with the OPUS Problematic Issues? Just don't know much about the ignitions. I am guessing that this would revert the car to a non-optical/electronic setup and be less troublesome? Thanks!

Brian

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Jeff,
I sent you an email in hopes that you could answer the above questions. Thanks much,

Brian

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
The OPUS optical distributor was followed by a CEI magnetic version that is far more reliable. It uses an external control box that mounts under the coil (or wherever you can find room. I guess I'm not certain where it was located in the Jags. I'll follow up your email and see if we can find a working solution!

Jeff