• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tactical question--rewiring strategy

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Having looked over the wiring on the Tunebug, I am now committed to putting in a new harness. Wires and connections are all just old, and there really aren't that many wires. I've got a few days clear right now, and I was thinking about pulling the old harness now so I can see what other bits need to be replaced as well. That way I can make one big order with all the necessary bits. Other than the rubber bits, the switches and lamp-sockets all seem to be in good shape.

Does this approach make sense? Should I wait to have the new harness in hand? I can't read the color codes on the old wires anyways, so I figured that taking lots of pictures during the tear out would be fine for remembering how it all goes together, especially the wire routing.

Also, anyone have experience with Moss or other harnesses for a Bugeye?

-Drew

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, your plan seems to be OK, provided you take pictures, make sketches, etc.
I would contact British Wiring. They make the best harnesses out there that I have found, and may well make them for Moss. They also have the correct grommets for the pass throughs, and all the neat bits. They are at www.britishwiring.com
When you get the new harness, lay it out with the old, and verify that the configuration is correct. Beware of bodges on the old harness that may have occurred through the years.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think the BritishWiring harness is IT. The stuff from the "other guys" is of a smaller gauge wire and not trustworthy IMO.... Just ME here, but BW makes 'em to replicate what WAS there. And photos, masking tape tabs with a fine "Sharpie" pen and plenty of "ho-made" diagrams with NOTES is a Good Thing. It'll be a "Piece o' Cake." Just take your time and try to think "reassembly" as you go. Great project, BTW. Congrats!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, one other thing that I think I mentioned in a previous post is that the British Wiring harnesses for the Bugeye are made with PVC insulation, that is then overbraided with the correct lacquered braid. So, it looks original, but is upgraded internally.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
umm... you did, Jeff. and: "...Just ME here, but BW makes 'em to replicate what WAS there."

He's a Clever Lad (acquired a Bugeye ON PURPOSE!) so I think 't'weren't lost on 'im... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Doc, Lesley has had all my electrical business for years. You're preachin' to the choir.
She also sells a wonderful ratchet style crimping tool that puts the proper hexagonal crimp on the brass bullet connectors. One of my favorite electrical tools, and I've got a boxful.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. Noted. Logged.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to call BW on Monday to get what I need ordered. Next related question is tools for the reassembly. Here's what I have, what am I missing?

Soldering iron w/ solder
Needle nosed pliers
One of those multi-crimp tools
Digital Multi-Meter
Small wire brush for cleaning contacts

I was thinking I'd need some sort of something for cleaning flat terminals, and probably some of that elecrical-related grease (dielectric?). What else am I missing? I know I'll have to buy some new tools for these projects, heck, that's part of the fun too.

-Drew

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No new tools for you, you got it.

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Be sure and replace those stupid round connectors with new ones (and plug them in firmly with a pair needle nose pliers. You know the ones that go between the harness and the lights and horns and such. they get corroded inside and cause bout 90 percent of the so-called Lucas crap.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Throw the multi-crimp tool away if you are going to use bullets from BW- talk to them about a crimp tool that is used only for bullets.

brdave

Just finished installing a wiring harness. The bullet crimp tool from BW is excellent! They also have a tool which pushes the bullet into the sleeves. I found the single bullet sleeves to be VERY tight and this tool was very usefull. Be sure to take lots of notes while removing the old harness, and try to keep the old harness intact to go back and track where wires went.
Dave

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just finished installing a new harness (on a 100/6) that was begun by the P.O. Following the color coding was VERY difficult. The trace colors on the harness were just about impossible to follow even with the help of the wiring diagram. This was a "new" original style harness with the woven covering over the wires. Having the old harness would have been a huge help, alas it was trashed. Bob