• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tachometer not working following ignition upgrade

msgt

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have just upgraded my 1964 BJ8 Phase 2 with a CSI unit - this was a bit fiddly but went well and the engine is a lot easier to start and runs very nicely.

However - the tachometer does not work - I have tried reconnecting the tachometer wire but without success.

The car is positive ground and, for some reason, the tachometer is labelled -ive ground - and was wired up aftermarket - before I start troubleshooting and replacing the -ive ground tach with a +ive ground one - has anybody seen this before?

Thanks

Mark

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Some have said the electronic ignition does cause change in the tach. Go to Healey6.com and look under technical and electrical. There are articles about changing the the tach. I think one said take one loop out of the sensor wire on the back of the tach for electronic ignition.
Jerry

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On the AHEXP forum, someone posted an old doc for wiring a Smiths tach with a Pertronix; it showed one loop around the pickup on the tach (try wiring it in both directions). I have a Pertronix on my BJ8, and the tach works OK up to about 4,500RPM, where it bounces like crazy (but I rarely rev that high). Both points and electronic ignitions send pulses and I've always wondered why the issue with electonics; maybe because the electronics output more of a square wave, possibly with a higher voltage.

OP
M

msgt

Freshman Member
Country flag
Tachometer now working - thanks Bob and Jerry

I did not have original wiring.

The eventual solution was to revert back to the original wiring and take out a loop so that the white wire passes through the pickup only once - I had also upgraded the coil to a Lucas DLB 105 and it seems that the pulse was too powerful when the loop at the back of the tachometer was in place.

I followed links from Healey6.com and AHEXP and found the solution under Pertronix support - I also found the Gentleman's Guide useful and an interesting read.

Pertronix Support

Gentleman's Guide to Smiths Tachometers

Thanks

Mark

Bill Young

Country flag
Mark

Good to see you have your tachometer working. I had confirmed that the Smith's RVI tachometer will work with the Pertronix (or equivalent) unit so I knew you would find the problem. Fortunately, your tachometer was not damaged. I wrote a couple of articles for the HEALEY MARQUE magazine last year on how this tachometer works. Perhaps this is a little bit more information than you need, however, it is interesting to know how these tachometers were designed back in the day of transistors.

Attachments

• HM 01.2020.p46-47.pdf
    504.6 KB · Views: 340
  • HM 02.2020.p38-39.pdf
    456 KB · Views: 442
  • HM 03.2020.p38-39.pdf
    401.1 KB · Views: 189

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Bill,
thanks for writing the articles and sharing. I have an early BJ8 with I have converted to negative ground. The later models you just switch the green wire and the long brown thing (don't know the electronic name). The early unit does not have a green wire. Have you any hints for that unit?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Jerry, the earlier tachs were mechanical so no green wire, no looped white wire.