• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tachometer Malfunction

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All:

Over the weekend i replaced the oil pan and differential gaskets. Everything went well and i didn't disconnect anything. Oddly, when I started the car up today the tachometer spun all the way over and is now buried at the max range (by a zero).

I have a TR3B. The tach is cable driven. I disconnected it and re-connected it. Everything looks ok, but it still reads way too high.

Can someone explain what is happening?

Thanks,

Mike

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Does the needle return to zero when the engine stops?

If not (and I expect not) then it is likely the hairspring is broken or detached.

Here is a good site for speedometer repair (note that the tach is essentially a speedometer w/o the two odometers):

https://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf

That will get you a sense of what is inside - but I have never dealt with a broken spring.

If the needle does return to zero when the engine stops then it sounds like the magnet bar may be fouling on the drag cup.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I can't think of any correlation of the oil pan to the tach issue. It has to be a coincidence. As Randall says, check to make sure the cable is not forced too far into the tach. That can push up on the rotor magnet and cause mechanical contact between the rotor and the aluminum follower disc. If you removed the tach cable during your work, it's also possible to install it backwards and cause the same problem.

Aside from that the tach will have to come apart to fix anything else that could be wrong.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John:

I didn't touch the tach cable at all during the work, so yes this must be a coincidence. Is it possible to pull the cable end out slightly at the end (by the engine) to counteract any possibility the cable has been pushed too far into the tach?

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Is it possible to pull the cable end out slightly at the end (by the engine) to counteract any possibility the cable has been pushed too far into the tach?

I think if you look at the speedo end of the cable you'll see that the solution (if a too-long cable is the problem) has to be there as there is a fitting that locates the cable against the speedo input connection.

I had a cable that would do this and as a stop gap I added a washer over the speedo end of the cable to act as a spacer and relieve the pressure of the too-long tip.

As I recall I had to start with a washer of a suitable ID and grind down the OD so it would fit inside the ferrule.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
One end of the cable has a locating ring on it that looks something like an attached washer. What commonly happens is a tinkerer replaces the cable with the locating ring at the wrong end.

The quickest check of a too long cable end would be to loosen the cable sheath nut on the back of the tack and pull the sheath out of the tach 1/8" or so. Then try checking the tach operation with the loose cable. If it fixes it, then you know you are on the right track. The fix would be to try reversing the orientation of the cable, grinding just a tad off the tach end tip, or adding washers as Geo mentions.