• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Survey of Ruddspeed valve covers

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice Score!

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Much as I like the valve cover, that manifold is a thing of beauty. What are you planning for an air filter?

Thanks Rick. The air filter hasn't been settle on. I could use a regular filter which is easily sourced (there is room), and I may end up with one of those (pictured). OR, if I can work out the spacing, which isn't that easy, I'll have a cool/fresh air feed from in front of the radiator to a inline filter packaged in the cool air tube. I should know within a month if I can fit the cool air package.

AH EFI Test day S50 2154 (2).jpg

Claretannie

Freshman Member
Country flag
After reading this thread with interest I thought I’d google Ruddspeed and was surprised to find I only live a couple of miles from their premises at the old Brooklands race track in Surrey

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Kirk headers?

Bob, well, yes ... for the most part... but the number one pipe has been replaced with one that is not a slip joint and doesn't go around the left side of the engine mount (I don't know why they didn't do this on the originals as the new location tucks in nicely). Then the collectors were replaced with ones more appropriately sized for the engine... 1.75" flange and positioned to improve connectivity. I like the Kirk's because they have smaller primary tubes (1.5") which keep exit velocities higher than would a larger tube. That's better for a street engine which spends most of it's time in mid-range RPM's.

Original unmodified Kirk
1 Original Kirk Headers 0974 S50.jpg 5 New 1 pipe and collectors ceramic coated 2583 S50.jpg 1 Stock collector left new cone RT 0974 S50.jpg 3 New collector w 1.75 flange  0974 S50.jpg 4 IMG_5124 (10) S50.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
A few years back, prob. longer than I think. wasn't someone talking about starting up Ruddspeed again. They had a website I know because I responded to them as they were asking about any Ruddspeed mods people had. My tri-carb has Ruddspeed manifolds with HD8 carbs on them.
Good Luck! They look really cool!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A few years back, prob. longer than I think. wasn't someone talking about starting up Ruddspeed again. They had a website I know because I responded to them as they were asking about any Ruddspeed mods people had. My tri-carb has Ruddspeed manifolds with HD8 carbs on them.
Good Luck! They look really cool!

Here's the website which doesn't look like it's been updated recently: https://www.ruddspeed.com/index.html They also maintain a Facebook page which has some more recent entries: https://www.facebook.com/ruddspeed

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Interesting Ruddspeed period upgrades and performance additions....

1959 Rudd Upgrades.jpg

petnatcar

Country flag
I've been reading some old articles on Ken Rudd and Ruddspeed Austin Healey's and just wondering how many of those Ruddspeed valve covers are out there? If you have one, or know of one, please chime in.

View attachment 64701

Steve
Hi Steve,
I haven't seen the RUDD Speed but I just got this one from "Healey Ray" in California.
He does beautiful work.
Good luck,
Peter

Attachments

• Engine-New Valve Cover.jpg
    Engine-New Valve Cover.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is that your engine Peter? That looks great and I like the intake manifold. I'm familiar with the valve cover, my son has one on his BN6.... good looking piece!
Steve

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Do I recognize the piston rods in that motor......?

Goldie

Country flag
I purchased one around 2005 time frame during major restoration on my 67 and it has been on my car since. I think it is the best valve cover out there. The two hold down bolts provided however did not fit my threadsize in the head so I had to use the captive bolts that were already installed. I hadn't seen them for sale in a while but if you can find one, it is really the best looking cover you will find IMO.

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Goldie I'm unsure of which valve cover you are referring to. The thread is asking about the RUDDSPEED valve cover.... Peter's is an extremely nice valve cover that was available from Healey Ray.... are you talking about the Healey Ray valved cover or the RUDDSPEED?

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dougie, my engine has your nice rods!!!... not sure what Peter has in his.