• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Surrey Top owners - how sealed are you from the rain?

richie

For those with Surrey Tops (hard top), I was wondering if you could share how well your seals fit around the front/rear corners of the side windows. My seals are all new, but weren't installed by me. The fit is lousy and washing the car is a pain since water always makes its way in VISIBLE gaps.

If possible I'd love to see how your seals are installed if you've managed to get it 90-100% water tight in these areas! I'm sure there's others who might want to see it too!

Thank you!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I added flaps. When I roll up the windows, the glass is sandwiched between the original flap and the longer one I added.
I don't have a picture that really illustrates what I described and the cloth surrey section is off and put away until Winter but maybe you'll get an idea from this. Wind Wings...new 001.jpg

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ritchie,
I have two TR4's with surrey tops. One I keep the hard top on for driving in the winter ( that is California winter) and the other for driving in the summer and the hard top has never been on the car, only the soft top. I believe you are talking about the seal that surrounds the actual glass of the back window and not the seals around the metal frame for the window. But in either case I do not have any water leakage around any of those seals. When I put the window in on one of the cars,I had a terrible time with the bottom front corner of the window getting the seal to limber up enough to close the gap. But even though it did not close as I would have wanted it to, it does not leak. The first window/seal, I and some friends put on while the second one a Safeco installer came over and he lead the process with help from two of us. A real chore. That is the one that did not close as I wished it would.
In my case I would attribute the problem to a very stiff seal. I think the things that would help are to have the seal very warm when trying to install it and putting it on the bare glass to get it "molded" to the glass shape as well as possible for a few days maybe in the sun but for sure where it is warm. I might even suggest using a heat gun on the seal prior to putting it on the window for the break-in period.
Charley

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I guess I read over Richie's post too quickly. I see now he's talking about the hardtop section..sorry 'bout that.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mine leaks around the front of the door windows, maybe it could be made to fit better but I don't have the time to fiddle with it. Maybe if I ever retire!

OP
richie

richie

Thanks guys for the ideas! Yes it's the hard top in particular - I will grab some photos to articulate my issue.

If I can confirm a new set of seals are designed to be more effective I will place an order! That's why I'm curious if anyone has a perfect seal at the front and back corners of the top of the window!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ritchie,
I bought my seals from TRF I can't say if they are better or worse than others as I only have experience with the TRF ones. The good side is that mine don't leak.
Charley