• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Surf's UP!!!

G

Oooof, slowed down and pressure's down now. Moving dead west at least at the moment.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
People in the Mississippi valley up through Illinois are going to enjoy that rain

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
People in the Mississippi valley up through Illinois are going to enjoy that rain

Countin' on it here...

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You're in the West part of the state Mick?
Looks like as of now that's what will get most of it

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sure wish we could get some of the rain in central OK.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
You're in the West part of the state Mick?
Looks like as of now that's what will get most of it

Central, just NW of Nashville.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I hope Kenn doesn't mind as I stole it off his 6Pack post.
Thought of Billy

RQgQWNo&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

G

Thanks bro, loved it!

If you only knew how true and close it hits to home. My 88 y.o Grandmother lives just outside of BFE inna small wood frame house with no insulation or a/c, just space heaters and a stove. In winter she has to break ice in the toilets to use them. Every day she goes outside to check the tank to see how much gas she has...even in summer when she doesn't use any.

We've offered to insulate and install central heat and a/c but nothing doing.

Tougher than nails and gent'ler than a dove, tells it like it is.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ya need to buy that lovely lady a trailer ,Bill

G

DNK said:
Ya need to buy that lovely lady a trailer ,Bill

That would be a downgrade. A little background is needed here because I know this sounds backwoods and strange.

You have to understand something about my grandfather. Where you would normally use a 2X4 he'd use a 2X6. If you should use 4 nails he'd put in 8. Every inch of the joint was built by him. It was never intended to be a full time home, just a summer place. This was before a/c thus no insulation. While the joint is spartan, it's WELL build. Despite the fact it's a raised house and old, it didn't even shudder the least bit durring Katrina while trees were being uprooted all around it.

She DOES NOT like change or anything new. If you buy her a gift, it'll be a year before she uses it. She doesn't have a/c cause she doesn't want it.

"It'll sperl ya."

While it is a tough way to live, she been very heathy despite being severly overweight. She went 39 years without going to the doctor or having to take ANY medication (1972-2011).

The only reason she went to the doctor in '72 is because she broke her leg cutting the grass after the mower ran over a piece of pipe spitting it out hitting her. She drug herself 50 yards back into the house so she could call my dad to come get her. (My grandfather had passed away earlier that year and she lived out in BFE.)

She is very happy and has the best attitude of anyone I know. She's happy and thankful to have whatever the current situation dictates. She's paid her dues and we only wish for her to be happy. If that's in a house w/ no a/c then so be it. It's not our call and we don't question it. (In my family, the bigger a woman's heart is, the more "power" she has. She FLAT OUT rules my family. No questions ask, none needed. All gladly do whatever is requested.)

She's the boss, plain and simple. Not because she's tough, but because there isn't anything she wouldn't do for any of us...as long as it doesn't involve changing her living arrangements.

There's no way we'd put he in a trailer. She wouldn't live in it anyway. My cousin is second in charge for one of the most sucessful home builders in the area. If she wanted or would live in a new home, she'd have it...trust me! You shoulda seen what we had to go through just to get her to go to the doctor!

Speaking of doctors, anyone heard anything from Bill yet?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No news from Bill yet. They're apparently getting 60~80MPH gusting. Dam storm is hovering S.W. of them, worst winds goin' right up his butt. :frown:

G

DrEntropy said:
No news from Bill yet. They're apparently getting 60~80MPH gusting.(

We had that earlier. It's not bad at all. I don't know about his flooding potential, however; IIRC, he's surrounded be swamp/marsh.

He should be o.k hopefully. It could have been much worse.

Just downgraded to a TS. Max winds they just showed were 38 mph. It's pretty mild here right now. having trouble getting a signal for the TV. Lost power for about 20 minutes. The high line boys 'round these here parts don't let grass grow under 'em. :wink:

G

B-I-L about to get water in his house...again. First time it ever flooded was Katrina when his in-laws owned it.

G

Lotsa folks flooding on the north shore of lake Pontchartrain that have never flooded before. LaPlace and other areas getting it too. Bill might be getting it. Lotsa rain and steady wind is a bad combination.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Kinda figger'd you'd be incommunicado for a while. Pleased to get news.