• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SUCCESS- VROOM, VROOM has been heard in Beavercreek, OH this evening

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Success , VROOM, VROOM Noisesafter I reconnected the Bugsy's Battery Wires correctly. Turned the key, Dash Light, Pulled Starter and a little Choke and Vroom, Vroom. Bugsy woke up from a nap from last October. Car is still on jack stands. Right Rear is making scraping noises and wobbling. Somethingnot right there. Need to check that rubber plug isn’t holding things proud. Ialso have an extra EN17 axle back in the garage as a spare just in case theaxle is bent. Likely the rubber plug standing proud. But Bugsy starts and isrunning. Now need to pull the wheel and check things and then take him for a Test Ride. Almost 9:00. that may need to wait until Friday night but I am CHUFFED!!!:glee::glee::glee::glee: :glee:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOOHOO! :cheers:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
congrats!

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good going, Jim!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
First Start not without problems. Scraping from Right Rear, gets louder as car goes faster, still on jack stands. Wheel definitely wobbling, pull wheel, another issue to discuss in a minute, Drum is not rotating concentrically, loosen brake adjusters and pull drum. Can definitely see what appears to be axle rim moving in and out. Guessing Bent Axle. I have a spare EN17 in back of the garage. Opinions, I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I tried to post a Video but it doesn't want to work for some reason so I can't show you.

Other issue, my new wheels only take 4-5 turns and then I run out of threads. Wheel studs are not long enough to use my new wheels. Who sells longer Wheel Studs and the correct size is?. new wheels are coming off of the car until I get longer Wheel studs. Crap. And they look so nice.

Advice guys.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
First Start not without problems. Scraping from Right Rear, gets louder as car goes faster, still on jack stands. Wheel definitely wobbling, pull wheel, another issue to discuss in a minute, Drum is not rotating concentrically, loosen brake adjusters and pull drum. Can definitely see what appears to be axle rim moving in and out. Guessing Bent Axle. I have a spare EN17 in back of the garage. Opinions, I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I tried to post a Video but it doesn't want to work for some reason so I can't show you.

Still, a great milestone. Congrats!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Thats great news! What style wheel lug nut do your wheels use and do the wheels have a steel insert where it fits over the stud?
Rut

nomad

Yoda
I think Winners Circle has longer and heavier studs if you need them.

Kurt

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK got longer Wheel Studs Ordered. Should be here Tuesday. Will resolve bent axle issue this evening with a Spare Axle I have, put on my OEM Bugeye Wheels, and see if I can go and drive this weekend. New 8 Spoke wheels will need to wait a bit.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Pulled axle tonight. Issue appears that axle on right is not sitting flush against the hub. Gap is bigger on one side than the other. Tried two other axles with same results with those axles I had gaps on all four points around the axle flange. I even reinserted the original right axle same issue it will not seat all of the way home. Ok what next. I figure I either have a bent wheel stud or possibly the wheel bearing is not seated all the way home. Other than that not sure what else my issue is. I did replace the pumpkin with a 3.9 diff. Otherwise no other changes other than EN17 axles. DS the EN17 axle popped in and went flush with no issues. Base around the wheel studs is clean and I put a drill and reamed out wheel stud holes. So I'm clueless as to next step. Ideas Gentlemen. I will be pulling hub next week to install 2" wheel studs but wanted to Getz Bugsy out for a test drive this weekend.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim,

Why don't you install the axle of your choice, install the set screw as snug as possible, then take the drum and install it backwards with the flat side of the 4 lug nuts toward the drum. Snug them up to 38 lbs and see if your gap doesn't close up. I'm willing to bet it will. Do not ream out the holes for the studs, it's absolutely unnecessary and could cause you to have runout on the axle flange. It's a close fit for a reason. If you're using 7/16" studs, that's different, but I believe you're keeping the 3/8", aren't you?

Pulled axle tonight. Issue appears that axle on right is not sitting flush against the hub. Gap is bigger on one side than the other.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard,

Yes I am. Tapping axle w a block of wood and A 5 lb hammer applied around the corners didn't 't close things up. I did install the drum and torque down and that did not resolve but I did not try with drum turned around. When I started car tire had a definite wobble while on jack stands. And then started making noise as I reved it. Anything else Gerard that could cause axle to stand 1/16 proud all of the way around the hub? Rubber gasket in place I need to check to see no Hylomar got into rubber ring track.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's not the axle you want to drive in farther... it's the hub you want to draw up to the axle. That's why no amount of pounding on it will help. It's not unusual for the hub to push away from the axle.

Gerard,

Yes I am. Tapping axle w a block of wood and A 5 lb hammer applied around the corners didn't 't close things up. I did install the drum and torque down and that did not resolve but I did not try with drum turned around. When I started car tire had a definite wobble while on jack stands. And then started making noise as I reved it. Anything else Gerard that could cause axle to stand 1/16 proud all of the way around the hub? Rubber gasket in place I need to check to see no Hylomar got into rubber ring track.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ok axle then is in as far as it can go. Drum must be hitting backing plate. Pull Hub towards axle by reversing drums. Got it. Now need to go to Krogers to lay in a supply of brown shopping bags. Getting really good at cutting out and making wheel/ Hub Gaskets.

JimLaney

Great perseverance Jim! Inspiration. That's the day I hold in my mind to keep motivation up.
Thanks for sharing it.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Jim. Lot's of new skills being learned every day. Remaking Wheel Hub Gaskets this AM and I notice today the Differential has a small puddle underneath it today R$R@$!#!#@@. And I think the points slipped again. Time to drop in that new Dizzy and Coil today. All the Fiddly Bits to make it run and run reliably. All going on as a great experiment in my garage. Back to fighting a good fight. Bugsy definitely keeps my problem solving gene active.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
BTW and interesting factoid 12 Axle/Hub Gaskets can be made from a single Kroger Brown Paper Shopping Bag. Hole Punch and small scissors, Hylomar, and Bob's Your Uncle.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard,

Your trick with reversing the drum absolutely worked ike a charm other than I needs to find some big nuts in my stash of some people call it junk I call it emergency / McGuyver Improvisation Equipment. You never know when you'll need a 5/8" nut that fits over the 3/8 x 24 Stud so you can tighten down the drum. While I had it apart I replaced the 207FF Bearing as it sure seemed like there was an awful lot of side to side movement right in the bearing, nit this was the side I added a Speedi Sleeve on so guessing if Speedi Sleeve wasn't on there the movement would be even worse. 1 7/8" nut is as tight as I can make it I even used my foot leverage to add an extra 1/2 turn in there. Disappointing to see having some leakage from the pinion seal. Will need to keep an eye on fluid levels. Things will all come apart when it comes time to paint anyway. Now back to engine work. Bugsy went off of tune quickly and points slipped. I may have missed putting a lockwasher back in there when I replaced the points. Need to see and if nothing else I can drop in the new distributor and coil. Was saving for the new engine but...I need to go drive.