• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Subaru SVX

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Anybody know anything about these?
There's one for sale locally- $700/offer.

- Doug

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ditto on the sentiments... always thought they were neat. not many people liked the weird windows though.

G

Yup, they were neat cars. A neighbor of my wifes when we first started going out had one, I used to look at it all the time. Nice motor, lousy transmission, both in terms of reliability and performance. The car really needed a 5 speed to be truely great based on what I've read. There are some people over on NASIOC (north american subaru impreza owners club) that are still running SVX's, you could post some questions there if you're really serious about buying one. Some of those guys claim their trannys failed as early as 60K, and they are expensive to R&R. Most agree that if you have a rebuild performed protect your investment and install a high capacity after market tranny fluid cooler.

Funny, over on my Subaru Legacy forum the topic of a new, updated SVX comes up often (as it also does on NASIOC). There are a lot of people on there that own new Legacys and WRX's that also have old SVX's, and they still love them. The 300hp WRX STi motor is a little monster, but most people over there would love to see a twin turbo version of the Outbacks 3.0 H6, putting down about 350hp, in a new SVX. They should certainly keep the cars 6 cylinder power to maintain the link to the old car, but it would need more performance than the current N/A version of the 3.0 motor to fit the SVX's persona.

Bret

Yoda
Kind of liked the body style but I could never get used to the side windows - but that’s just me.

Anyway I think Speed TV’s “Sports Car Revolution” did a segment on it awhile back with that kid “KAZZ” (?) behind the wheel. He seemed to like the car and only had a few negative remarks. Kind’s heavy @ ~3500lbs and somewhat pricy for its time. He also made reference to how despite its short comings – Subaru got it right & can see its influences in today’s Subarus.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm going to look at it today.
Bad tranny - I might offer $100 for it,so if I do get it,it
would still be a fair deal if I have to put money into it.

- Doug

Rusticus

I've driven Subaru's as my daily drivers for 22 years. I really wanted an SVX but when I had the opportunity to drive/purchase several of them back in the 90s I found them to be pretty boring and desparately in need of a five speed. The 3.0 H6 is no torque monster and the (quite heavy for its size) SVX in stock form is not a performance car. The new B9 Tribecca has pretty much the same problem, although at least it has the 5 speed. The H6 needs another 500CCs or 50-75 ft/lbs of torque, whichever comes first, to play in the big leagues. Did I mention that it drinks a lot of premium fuel?

It's comfortable enough, but it has about as much room in back seat as a Camaro or Mustang. It's a fine highway cruiser for the single guy, I guess, but the 4 speed auto kills the fun.

You'll have more fun driving an Impreza, which even without the turbo, can be an absolute blast to drive with just a few minor supension tweaks. Until recently I drove a Legacy GT sedan, which was just wonderful.

Not to say that the SVX doesn't have loads of potential, but it would take a serious Subaru guru to bring it out.

I saw your comment about the tranny. The rebuilt gearboxes have a bad reputation. A new one is about $3500 and probably a better deal than a "rebuilt" job at $1200-1500+. But there's probably an STi 5 speed that would fit....

Good luck!

G

[ QUOTE ]
Until recently I drove a Legacy GT sedan, which was just wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own an 05 Legacy GT limited now. Out of the box it's fantastic, easily one of the best sports sedans I've ever driven. With some relatively minor mods you can get WRX STi power and still have the the Legacys comfort and luxury. Only downside has been the need for premium gas.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I really wasn't in the market for any Japanese car,but this one came along.
I'm still waiting to hear if they accepted my offer.

- Doug

Rusticus

Hey, go for it man. I wasn't tryin' to put you off, just wouldn't want you think it's something it's not. Put a new tranny in it and it'll be good transportation for years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like 'em just because they are weird. I came this close () to buying a XT once just because it looked different.
subaru_xt.jpg

G

I remember the XT, it had a really wierd pistol grip shaped shifter in it if I remember correctly, and the instrument pod tilted with the steering wheel. I worked with a guy who had one back when I first got out of school. He had horrible luck with it but I think that was more due to the fact that he was an idiot with cars and bought one that had really been beat on rather than any shortcoming of the car itself. It was an interesting design, looking at it today it screams the 80's.

Rusticus

Now the 5 speed XT6 (forerunner of the SVX) would be a neat one to get! Unfortunately, many of them rotted out around the wheel arches. That motor would look really cool with a pair of 3-barrel Weber's....

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a 92 SVX. Just turned 200000 miles. I will probably never get rid of it. I gave a 911 driver a real workout on Highway 49 in the damp. He was behind me all the way. We talked about it later at a gas station. Its is the Japanese version of a Jensen FF (I also have an Interceptor)