• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SU Damper Cap Vented vs Non-Vented

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
My 1964 3000 MkIII has SU HD8 carburetors. Mine have the black plastic damper cap. It has a vent hole in the cap.
My friend has a 1960 3000 with SU HD6 carburetors. His has the brass damper cap. It is not vented.

Why are some vent caps brass vs plastic?
Why are some vent caps vented vs non-vented?

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My 1964 3000 MkIII has SU HD8 carburetors. Mine have the black plastic damper cap. It has a vent hole in the cap.
My friend has a 1960 3000 with SU HD6 carburetors. His has the brass damper cap. It is not vented.

Why are some vent caps brass vs plastic?*
Why are some vent caps vented vs non-vented?**

*plastic is cheaper; brass is stronger - plastic caps have been known to blow out in a backfire (unlikely).

**non-vented caps go with carbs that have a little hole drilled per this. Vented caps don't have the little angled hole. You must have one or the other.

VentAngle.jpg

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I read about that in an article by Jim Taylor.

Where is that hole? I can't tell exactly where the arrow you drew is pointing to. (The other two arrows are pointing to the piston oil fill level.)
Should the hole be on the flanged part of the neck?
If there is no hole, I think it would be best to drill a 1/16" hole in the cap.
It's my friends HD6 carb and I didn't see any holes. His brass cap is non vented and he tells me these are the original carbs with original brass caps. But, he's not the original owner, so there's that.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I read about that in an article by Jim Taylor.

Where is that hole? I can't tell exactly where the arrow you drew is pointing to. (The other two arrows are pointing to the piston oil fill level.)
Should the hole be on the flanged part of the neck?
If there is no hole, I think it would be best to drill a 1/16" hole in the cap.
It's my friends HD6 carb and I didn't see any holes. His brass cap is non vented and he tells me these are the original carbs with original brass caps. But, he's not the original owner, so there's that.

Sorry, should have circled the slanted hole my arrow is just touching. Ignore the two big arrows. If you don't see it, it's not there. You could also take the dome off and see it from the bottom, if it's there.

My original HD6's have the vented brass cap and no slant-drilled hole. Will upload pix later today.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
The hole is not visible on the outside of the dome I'll assume. The tube the hole makes is from the inside of the neck to the bottom of the dome?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The hole is not visible on the outside of the dome I'll assume. The tube the hole makes is from the inside of the neck to the bottom of the dome?

Correct. Here's a better dwg:
HDsectDwgCallouts.jpg

screenshot.2261.jpg

screenshot.2262.jpg

1/16" hole as measured with drill bit

screenshot.2263.jpg

If hole were present would be directly above, or at, the bright lower ring

screenshot.2264.jpg

Hole would show in circled area - in the area of the sharpie mark at the 3 o'clock position

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sometimes :

An owner would replace the plastic caps with the brass ones so when he polished his carbs he could also polish the caps , adds a bit of glitter under the bonnet .

Last edited:
OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm certainly confused. I asked, The hole is not visible on the outside of the dome I'll assume. You replied correct.
Is this the circled area?

screenshot.2261.jpegscreenshot.2264.jpeg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm certainly confused. I asked, The hole is not visible on the outside of the dome I'll assume. You replied correct.
Is this the circled area?

View attachment 64145View attachment 64146

The circled area is on the right-hand picture. Referring to the drawing above, that is where the hole, if there were a hole, would appear. The circle I drew aligns with the "web" visible in the left-hand picture and the drawing above. My HD6's came with the hole in the cap, not the internal one. Only one hole is necessary.

If your friend's HD6's don't have the slanted internal holes, they'll need holes drilled in the caps.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
HD8 carbs. Brass vs Plastic dampers on a BJ8. At what time did they use Brass?

Looking at all the old road tests in Brooklands' Austin Healey 3000 Ultimate Portfolio, the brass caps are seen through the MkI BT7; from the tri-carbs onward, the caps are all black plastic.

Last edited:

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Previous owner glued a copper coin from some foreign currency (Canadian?) - selected because it fit nicely within the plastic damper center ring - then drilled a vent hole through original position. You could have your bling for pennies!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
*plastic is cheaper; brass is stronger - plastic caps have been known to blow out in a backfire (unlikely).
Not so unlikely. I've had the rods on both of my plastic ones punch out from backfire. A PO of my HD8s had glued coins (dimes, IIRC) to the top of the plastic caps. Covered the holes.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not so unlikely. I've had the rods on both of my plastic ones punch out from backfire. A PO of my HD8s had glued coins (dimes, IIRC) to the top of the plastic caps. Covered the holes.

I've had the stems push thru the plastic ones too. The stems on both types are the same diameter and are just a press fit into the caps, so you can press your stems into brass caps and permanently solve the problem.
IMO the brass looks better too.

Dave