Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I pulled this pump off of my '73 parts car and I would like to use it on my Bugeye. There are a couple of extra hoses coming out of the pump in addition to the in and out, what do I do with those? Also, I'm assuming its a negative ground pump since the car is.
Thanks, Rut
Any suggestions for purchasing an original SU rebuild kit? I'm assuming I need to rebuild since my parts car has been sitting outside for years, but the inside of the pump looks pretty decent.
Rut
Unless the diaphragm has gotten old and hard usually all they need is the points cleaned up. I would clean the points and try it on a battery. Won't hurt it to pump dry for a bit.
Kurt,
Cleaned the points since they were pitted beyond recognition and the diaphragm is pretty stiff. After pushing on the diaphragm it started clicking a bit, but it really needs a tune up. Any suggestions on a parts supplier?
Thanks, Rut
I guess I will ask why you would want to use a SU pump for any reason other than originality? A solid state pump is much more reliable. I have used the original mechanical style pump that was on my 948 on my 1275 for years with no problems. It has the priming lever on it so that it makes it easy to start if left sitting for a while. I tried an electric pump for a short time I when was trying some other mods and did not see any benefit for my use.
Steve,
I have a 1275 in my Bugeye with no provision for a mechanical pump. The motor is from an early 70s Midget and I have the SU mechanical pump that came with it. I cleaned it up and it runs great, but needs a set of points and possibly a diaphragm. IIRC, the Bugeye came with an SU pump with the 948.
Rut
Well, Rut, I have to agree with Steve. They are not known for being trouble free. I have several but am running Airtex. Avoid the Facet hammering cube if you change to something else but if you want to fool with them they are simple and can almost always be made to run. I just wouldn't stick a pile of money in it.
Airtex is what I was running in Bugsy I. Only about $50 via Advance Auto probably less via Internet. Pump lasted around 5 yeArs and needed replacement.cheap, bought another. Total swap including tying everything back up and making it look neat took. < 1 hour.
Jim,
Thanks for the info and I have a newer style pump, but I want to go with the SU. Not sure exactly why, but I had them in other cars and never had problems. I just need to do basic maintenance on this pump with new points and diaphragm and I'll be good to go.
Thanks, Rut
Rut, I forgot that about the later 1275s. Mine had a removable blanking plate over the fuel pump hole in the block. I've used so called hammering cube on other cars. Mounted on a loop of rubber it's not too bad.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.