• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stupid is as stupid does...

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I love that line except when it applies to me. After I bought my 1275 Bugeye it was apparent that the car needed a lot of work to restore and I've focused on body work, suspension, etc. I knew the car was an oil leaker and assumed it was a poor rear seal with a little positive crankcase pressure to boot although the I was assured the engine was a fresh rebuild. I fooled around with the carbs and changed from the Weber to SUs and that improved the amount of oil coming out the rear, but never completely stopped it. I finally got around to working on the engine, separated it from the gearbox and noticed that there was no oil on the inside so that lead me to believe it was leaking around the rear of the sump. I actually looked at the rear of the engine plate today while removing the flywheel and noticed there was no oil pump cover! It was staring me in the face and I never noticed the missing pump cover! Next question...anyone have a pump cover they're not using?
Thanks, Rut

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Even without the cover, there should not be any leaks from the rear of the engine. The rear engine plate does not seal anything. The scroll on the rear of the crank is supposed to return any oil that gets by the rear main bearing and let it return to the sump. I still think it's a crankcase pressure issue. It must have good vacuum through a PCV from the intake manifold to the timing chain cover. Unlike 948s the 1275 has to have forced ventilation.

Country flag
Are you sure about that Steve?

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
No oil pump cover allows oil to pump freely out the rear and it can come out by the sump or thru the open space by the crank. The cover is a must for a 'leak free' 1275!
thanks, Rut

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On another thread I was posting about the rear oil seal, and Gerard inquired to make sure my pump cover was intact and well sealed. He said he had seen people running there cars without any oil pump cover. I didn't know he was talking about Rut! Definitely will leak without that...
I found that on my rebuilt 1275 (refreshed really) it leaked a steady flow of oil until I hooked up my crankcase ventilation properly. I my case that meant a hose from the "can" on the timing cover over to a Y connector and thence to the SU carbs. No PCV. Hooking that up stopped 90% of leak, but there remained about a 1/2 dollar sized puddle after it ran a little while on the engine stand. Hopefully Gerard's oil seal kit will have solved that remaining bit when I fire it up next.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Okay, the engine plate gasket seals the rear block around the cam and the oil pump cover. I stand corrected. I think there is a weep hole in the bottom of the pump that uses a drain hole in the block. It's been a while since I had one apart. Odd that someone would leave the cover off. Might not trust the rest of the engine work.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Odd that someone would leave the cover off. Might not trust the rest of the engine work.

I've seen it more times than you can imagine or that I can even believe myself! :stupid:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Where is the cover supposed to be on the 1275? The chassis self-lubrication system on my '69 Sprite seems to be showing similar symptoms. I had always assumed it was the rear main seal that was leaking, but now you have me curious if I may be suffering from "Missing Oil Pump Cover Syndrome"

G

Where is the cover supposed to be on the 1275? The chassis self-lubrication system on my '69 Sprite seems to be showing similar symptoms. I had always assumed it was the rear main seal that was leaking, but now you have me curious if I may be suffering from "Missing Oil Pump Cover Syndrome"

I had one with a bad leak like that; pulled the motor three times till I discovered there is a gasket b/w the plate and motor so it may just need a gasket. Either way, out and down is the only way to know for sure.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

The cover is basically a can that covers the oil pump. It has a flange that gets sandwiched between the rear mounting plate and the block, seen here in the upper left hand corner of the engine, as seen from the rear.

See Fred's post for the pic of the same area with the cover missing.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?78248-Oil-pump-priming-access

I have also seen on a few occasions where the rear plate is cracked between the oil pump location and the opening for the crankshaft. This will also cause a leak.

5spRearSealBK.jpg

Country flag
While we are on the subject ... I know the 948 cover is soldered onto the plate, but isn't there an issue with certain oil pumps fitting under the cover on a 1275?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
While we are on the subject ... I know the 948 cover is soldered onto the plate, but isn't there an issue with certain oil pumps fitting under the cover on a 1275?

I think there was one at one time that was too tall, but I don't recall which. I have not run into that issue in the last few decades though, so I don't know if that's the case anymore.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi guys,
im still looking for an oil pump cover to replace the one I don't have!
Thanks, Rut