• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Strange occurance!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Things have been progressing well while the Bugeye is at the body shop and I've been able to clean up, paint, plate, measure and order things that need replacing. Most of the subsystems of the car are together and ready for installation languishing in their plastic container awaiting reassembly. I'll be picking up the block and crank from the machine shop today so I can start building the engine and as I was gathering parts to lay out on my workbench and discovered that #4 rod and piston (balanced) were missing along with a restored 1275 valve cover. The valve cover is AH green with new Moss plates riveted on and the balanced rod/piston is a .030" County piston in almost new condition. Obviously I need a replacement rod and wrist pin and I have another valve cover I can restore, but this ticks me off. Please keep an eye out is case you see them on eBay and if you have or know of a rod and wrist pin for sale let me know.
Thanks, Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 84

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Did you go back to the shop?

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP,
The rods have not gone to the shop for resizing or new pistons, they've been living in a box on my workbench since I dissassebled the engine. The valve cover was restored about 2 years ago and lived with the other 'Green' engine parts on the shelf and they are all still there...weird.
Rut

nomad

Yoda
I would be furious! And after everyone that has had access to the shop! You don't have a dog that likes to bury things do you??

Kurt,

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm leaning toward the alien theory unless one of the neighborhood kids is messing around. We don't have a problem with people breaking into shops or garages down here, but there's a first time for everything...but a piston/rod and a valve cover?
Rut

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yea I would say dig it's there somewhere. That's just to random.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Maybe hanging from the trailer hitch of the neighbor kid's truck!

nomad

Yoda
Sounds like a kid thing.....look for a 6 or 7 year old willing to rat on his friend!:chuncky:

Kurt

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's called a "Senior Moment"... you put them somewhere else for some reason, and now you don't remember ever doing it or why... :excitement:

RickB

Yoda
It's called a "Senior Moment"... you put them somewhere else for some reason, and now you don't remember ever doing it or why... :excitement:

So glad that never happens to me... (Now who am I and what was I doing here???)
:devilgrin:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've always taken pictures as I dissassemble a car as well as complex parts so I started taking pictures of the storage area of my shop, such that it is. The restored valve cover lived next to the aluminum one and the rod/piston lived in the cardboard box presently on the chair and was formally on the shelf. This is really messing with me!
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 80

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have found that the best way to find something I misplaced is to go buy another one. The old one always shows up within 24 hours. The aliens always return things after they borrow them.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut, are you sure your wife or neighbor isn't messing with you.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Im never sure of anything, but my wife only goes near the shop when I'm building furniture and she's choosing the finish and I only have one neighbor who likes to mess with cars and he's my body shop advisor. I have opened and reopened every box, inventoried everything, rebagged and labeled a multitude of parts, and I still can't find these 2 items. I'm leaning toward a neighborhood kid, but the choice of items baffles me. I've got a few valve covers I can redo, but I really need a connecting rod to take to the shop for resizing and balancing since I'm at that point.
Rut

edit: I don't have a valve cover that I want to use...I need an early one with a metal cap and all I have are later ones!
Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have found that the best way to find something I misplaced is to go buy another one. The old one always shows up within 24 hours. The aliens always return things after they borrow them.
George,
Buy another one or restore a couple and order the labels for both! Placed the order with Moss yesterday and started cleaning the garage today where I keep a few MGB parts and look who showed up! The 2 with labels are the lost boys and yes Gerard it was a senior moment that lasted a month!
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 80

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
George,
Buy another one or restore a couple and order the labels for both! Placed the order with Moss yesterday and started cleaning the garage today where I keep a few MGB parts and look who showed up! The 2 with labels are the lost boys and yes Gerard it was a senior moment that lasted a month!
Rut

All is well that ends well. Sounds like the stuff that happens to me all too often.
Congrats on your "find".

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Still looking for the pissing piston and rod!
Rut