• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Strange fiberboard panel behind rear seat in TR3

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
1957 TR3 that looks mostly original, but I found a fiberboard panel behind the rear seat that pushed the rear seat forward about 3-4 inches. I can't see this panel on MOSS or Rimmer and have never seen one before. Any of you seen something like this?
This is a small mouth car if that helps.
Jerry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sounds like the back to the occasional seat. It was separate on the earlier cars. It should be upholstered, but maybe the upholstery is missing?

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
It was not attached to the seat, but to the panel hiding the gas tank. It was not upholstered. It appeared to be attached right below the hood stick. The addition of this panel made the back seat useless.

Jerry

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Jerry,

There is an "Upholstered" panel that has a large curve on the top (Across the whole panel) & then drops straight down to the occassional rear seat area. Its also mounted under the hood stick, onto the Rear Couling. It does`nt or should`nt in no way interfere with your seats.

You should post a pic here so we can all see exactly what your talking about to evaluate what you have.

Regards, Russ

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here's what the panel looked like that was in my pre-50000 TR3A:

RearSeatBack_zps15e5ffd7.jpg

...The addition of this panel made the back seat useless.

'Useless' pretty much sums up that rear seat.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This is a car at the California Auto Museum. They called to find someone that knew TR3s to decide if they are going to keep the car in the museum or sell it. My task was to figure out how original the car was. Turns out most of the car was still original with a few exceptions.
Chrome or Stainless 48 spoke wires.
New radiator with electric fan
What looks like yellow weave wallpaper on the dash
New BRG paint job. The engine compartment, under fenders, and I assume under the car were not painted. Looks like the paint color there was a leaf green at one time.
It did still have the crank for the engine and the original jack. I have not seen those in a long time. The curator asked if it would start. 20 sec of cranking and it started right up. There was evidence of gas leak from the bottom of the carbs, but overall it ran pretty well.
I think the museum will keep it and perhaps turn it into a car that people can sit in.

That extra fiberboard panel is nothing like yours above. Never seen one before. If you happen to get to the museum, take a look.

Jerry

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Could it be some sort of fire protection? Quite a few folks have recommended some sort of barrier between the tank and passenger in the event of a rear end collision and tank rupture.

Dan

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
This is a car at the California Auto Museum. They called to find someone that knew TR3s to decide if they are going to keep the car in the museum or sell it. My task was to figure out how original the car was. Turns out most of the car was still original with a few exceptions. ...
What looks like yellow weave wallpaper on the dash

Some TR2s had a rather different-looking "weave" pattern to the vinyl dash covering, but I didn't think that extended into the TR3 range. It would be interesting to see that as well as the "leaf green" original color. What is the current interior color (dash covering should match the rest, of course)?

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Interior color is black. This is a weave pattern on the dash, I did not take pictures of any of the car, should have.
I don't think the panel behind the seat is fire protection. It is not flat, but bulges out toward the seat. I could not figure out why it was there other than pushing the seat towards the front which left zero leg room. the rear seat was not hooked down.