• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

stormberg

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
stromberg bowl gasket gets wet. no dripping. what are the possible problems. i have adjusted the floats down to 18 mm and it still does it. could it be that i need to increase the spacer size under the needle?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
John - welcome to BCF.

Did that problem just start happening after you changed something?

Also, is your fuel pump giving you the correct pressure - or maybe too much pressure?

Tom M.

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
stromberg bowl gasket gets wet. no dripping. what are the possible problems. i have adjusted the floats down to 18 mm and it still does it. could it be that i need to increase the spacer size under the needle?
yes new needle , working fine. gasket get wet just siting there with engine not running.

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
has anyone ever had to set the floats at 20 mm instead of 17 mm
we are at 20 mm and the level is right at the gasket level. I am thinking that if i can get it down a little more i wont see the dampness on the gasket
i have had this care since 1970 never had problems with the strombergs. one of the suppliers says they are having trouble getting good gaskets

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use a pair of composite metal gaskets... maybe copper? No idea where they came from as they were on the car when I got it and I have reused them countless times with no leaks.

As I recall the manual wants you to have the carbs upside down on the bench to measure the float height but I usually try to simulate that by gently lifting the float. I'm never 100% sure I'm getting the same result as I would by the book method.

The other thing I wondered is if the solid nitrophyl floats should use the same height as the old plastic floats. They float but do they have the same density (i.e. do they float at the same height)?

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
thank you, i have ordered new gaskets. I am still concered that we are at 21 mm instead of 16. maybe i need to change to the thicker washer that goes under the needle valve.

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
John - welcome to BCF.

Also, is your fuel pump giving you the correct pressure - or maybe too much pressure?

Tom M.
pressure is about 4 lbs. it was sweating fuel before thats the reason i took it off

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
pressure is about 4 lbs. it was sweating fuel before thats the reason i took it off
John - welcome to BCF.

Tom M.
John - welcome to BCF.

Tom M.
it was starting to get wet after driving, thats the reason for taking them off and rebuilding
4lbs of fuel pressure

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think your next step is to follow Geo Hahn's suggestions regarding float height.
The float height is likely to be the culprit here.

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
I think your next step is to follow Geo Hahn's suggestions regarding float height.
The float height is likely to be the culprit here.
ok, so the level should be just below the gasket no matter how hight i have to set the floats. is that correct. Thank you everyone for your help.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
ok, so the level should be just below the gasket no matter how hight i have to set the floats. is that correct. Thank you everyone for your help.
I never gave it much thought but seems to me the fuel could be above the gasket in operation.

The ZS document doesn't say (scanning quickly) but the principles of operation say "The fuel from the float chamber will rise in the jet orifice 19 via hole 21 in the jet assembly, the fuel in the jet orifice being maintained at the same level as that in the float chamber."

cd-cds-series-pic-2.jpg

OP
X

xke john

Freshman Member
Country flag
I never gave it much thought but seems to me the fuel could be above the gasket in operation.

The ZS document doesn't say (scanning quickly) but the principles of operation say "The fuel from the float chamber will rise in the jet orifice 19 via hole 21 in the jet assembly, the fuel in the jet orifice being maintained at the same level as that in the float chamber."

cd-cds-series-pic-2.jpg
Thank you very much i think this will help a lot .