• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Storage of Weather Gear

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi guys,

This might be a silly question (s) but, here goes...

How are the sidescreens stored in the boot? Legs facing the rear of the car or towards the backer board?

What about order of storage of items along with the sidescreens including top, tonneau etc? Screens on bottom? Not sure what I want to protect more...I was concerned for example if I put the top below them, with the weight of the sidescreens on top, it might crease the rear windows....

Was just playing around out in the garage placing stuff in the boot and thought I should ask what others do. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I sewed a bag to hold the top and screens. The screens fit best with the legs aft, but without a bag I'd place the legs forward, so the legs won't slide into the rear valence and dent it outward.

If you are interested in the bag details I can take some pics. The good side is it protects the plastic windows. The down side is that, with all the cotton twill and padding, it pretty much fills the entire boot.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Back in the day, I never really thought about it, just put them in any way they fit, but that was before they went to $1000 a set. Usually put the tonneau underneath and the London Fog between them. If the top came off too, that went on top of all the other stuff.
Cold weather? That's what happens around here after we leave for Florida.
Tom

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
I got separate bags for the top and side curtains from https://www.sidecurtain.com. Certainly, if you have the means and inclination, make something similar. I highly recommend this solution, having spent so much effort over time wrapping bath towels around all the pieces and into the folded top to protect the windows.

Frank_D

Country flag
Hi Tush. My screens are in custom bags and they go in first with the legs facing aft. The top is folded in such a way that the Tenax do not contact the rear window. My top is also bagged with a towel layered so it protects the rear plastic and goes on top of the side screens. On long road trips, we usually run with top down and side screens on to provide more room in the boot for luggage. Pauline can read a book in that configuartion at 75 MPH. It was good to see you Sunday.

Frank D......

Lbp

I store my side-screens in the garage. Anytime the weather is such that I might even think about closing up the car, I drive something else. In fact, I don't really relate to my TR3 as a "car". Rather, I think of it as a 4-wheel motorcycle.

Bill

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate it. John, will let you know if I need some pics etc.

Cheers
Tush

TS27952L

Freshman Member
Country flag
I made two covers for the upper part of the sidescreens from an old (soft)= bed sheet.
When removing the sidescreens they go on them first, then i remove the Screens from the door.
I turn both lower flaps 180 degrees up onto the protected Screens, so the legs are "naked". If you stack both sideschreens, the neccesary height is minimzed.
This package goes into the boot.
If driving with luggage, then they go on top - legs (for the carpets) to protect the Apron from scratches by the legs.

Hood similar: Folded with towel, goes on top.
Tonneau cover is folded and "somewhere" - no sensible part.

Cheers,
Johannes

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Tush - I have all mine in two bags, The legs aft on the sidecurtains and the bag with the vinyl top on top.

Whatever you do don't go a place a 20 pound tool box full of tools and spares on top. I carry all my tools in small zippered pencil bags I bought for a buck each at Dollarama. They fit in all the side corners and crevaces available.

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<Tonneau cover is folded and "somewhere" - no sensible part.>

I object to the final phrase, being someone who has driven, many years now, about ninety per cent of the time using the tonneau. It's a lovely
accessory driving solo and an easy protection for the interior when you stop and get out. The only real liability is having to replace the zipper from time to time.

TS27952L

Freshman Member
Country flag
"No sensible part" means: Not easy to be damaged as the Perxsepx of the sidescereens or the Windows of the hood.
The tonneau is a quick & easy cover for the open car, thats my main usage of it.
From time to time I drive with the half-open tonneau, but in my opinion open driving i better. I dislike the feeling of the flapping cloth right beside my right arm, especially when driving fast (in Germany) - and it doesn't help the heater much.

But it's in the boot most of the time: To Close the car in case of longer parking or rain.

Johannes

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I stowed everything away in the boot today as suggested. It is a tight fit for the sidescreens to be sure. Not much space for luggage in there that is for sure...my TR6/250 boot is pretty vacuous compared to the 3A once all the stuff is stowed in there. Good thing there is space behind the seats!

Getting closer to being on the road each week....

Cheers
Tush