• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stiff steering effort Daimler SP-250

BritBite

Freshman Member
Country flag
Can anyone suggest a way to free up the steering effort on my SP-250. I am the second owner and have owned it many years. With only 19,000 miles, the components are in very good condition. I keep the car well greased and cared for. The car has gotten harder to steer in the last couple of years. The stiffness seems to be in the steering column. I just want to get it back to stock steering effort, not interested in converting.
I only drive the car a few hundred miles a year and is is always in a heated garage, so no hardships.
Just wondering if any other SP250 owners have had the same situation with good results?

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
We have to find out where the stiffness is. Jack the car up, and disconnect the outer tie rods. See if the wheels turn (not rotate) freely. If one or more doesn't, that may be your problem If the do turn freely, try the steering wheel and see if there is binding there. These steps should help you locate the problem.
You said you think it might be the steering column. Not familiar with the SP-250, but there has to be a way to disconnect the column from the rack (or gearbox, like I said, I am not familiar with the car). Disconnect the column and see if there is any binding. If everything is free at this point, the problem is either the rack or gearbox (whichever the car has).

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
BritBite-Try looking in the service manual for suggestion(s). Also, there are a number of SP/Dart groups on FB & questions seem to draw pretty quick responses. I have R&P, but seem to remember there is an adjustment on the box at the bottom of the steering shaft. Good luck!
Are you planning to show the SP at the Stowe Brit Invasion in Sept.?

OP
BritBite

BritBite

Freshman Member
Country flag
So I put the SP on the lift and detached all links associated with the steering. No surprises or indications of stiffness. The biggest difference I noticed was that my steering box has a grease fitting on the side of it which I have periodically pumped hi grade grease into. NO mention or details in the manuals, just info on maintaining the level of oil. I completely cleaned the box of grease and inspected for any issues, nothing out of the ordinary. I am thinking that the servicing dealer must have installed the grease fitting way back when the previous/original owner serviced the car. I decided to use the grease fitting to install new DYNOLUBE and reattach all components. I adjusted the cam to worm gear as specified. I then made sure the upper steering column was well lubricant.
I would say that the steering effort is still a bit stiff, but at least I know there is nothing out of the ordinary effecting it. Adding an extra 4 pounds to the tire pressure has the best effect.
Anyway, now I know why SP owners install R&P systems. I just don’t want to make those changes.
Thanks for listening…

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Well done! Absent 8+ hours a day drives, you should not get arm weary.(lol) I drove mine for 30 years before I made the switch. By the time I had 100k on the clock I was ready.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If not a power assisted box Jaguar used an E.P.140 oil not grease. I always used 90.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The steering box is basically a modded Triumph item. Take a look at a TR3/4 manual for maintenance and diagnosis purposes.

The box itself takes 90 wt. oil, not grease. And remember that the plug with the fiber washer is for adjustment not adding oil. I have seen more than one steering box on a TR pumped full of grease instead of oil, and yes they can get quite stiff, plus the grease can stiffen up and restrict lubrication which results in wear.

OP
BritBite

BritBite

Freshman Member
Country flag
Yes, I know. The grease zerk I mentioned is on the steering box. I found out that it was a factory recommended install by dealers. The grease used is DYNOLUBE, NOT chassis grease. I fully understand what the steering column filler plug is for. I was hopping for some real world discussions from someone that has found a way to ease the effort with out installing a rack.
Thanks for the input, I do have the factory books and owners manual.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
BBite-I think you will find that many many Dart owners faced the same steering issues as you & ended going the rack route. So many that pasSPort does not have the space to list them. BTW, I think it is amazing that there are about 900 cars listed after 60+ years since introduction and a little less than 3X that many total production.

OP
BritBite

BritBite

Freshman Member
Country flag
It’s a great car to drive , I’m headed to the Woodstock All British show tomorrow and the SP250 will be my conveyance. I spoke to the owner of the only one at last weekends British Invasion in Stowe Vt…he didn’t mind the steering effort when parking and I think that is going to be my attitude. Thanks for the chat.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If one puts on new radial tires the steering can change with different tread designs, especially with lower air pressures and different compounds. PJ