Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Just wondering if a puller is needed to get to the steering box seal. I can get the steering box off easy since the body is not in the way. Any tips on this job? Bob
Yup. Definitely need a purpose-made Pitman arm puller (not just a common 2-jaw gear puller) to remove the Pitman arm. The cheap fixed opening one I got didn't quite fit, so I had to machine the jaws a little bit wider.
I did actually get it off with a 2-jaw puller once, but I had to make supports to lock the arms in place against the arm, and tighten the forcing screw until I thought something would break. Had to add a healthy rap on the forcing screw to get it to pop. The Pitman puller works much better.
If you do the seal, also do the bushing. The pin that follows the worm gear can be
re-used if you drive it out and turn it 90 degrees to the wear.Make sure the shims on the lower bearings are
set up for the correct play.Pack the lower section of the box with wheelbearing grease, this will
keep the 90 wt from leaking out as your new seal dosent really seal.......trust me!
MD(mad dog)
So I pulled the steering box out after most of the 90 wt leaked out overnight. The seal was dry! Turns out the leak was from the front cover. I guess my new seal and bush will be saved for the next TR3. I dropped the main body back on the chassis today. Thanks for the tips! Bob
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.