• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A stator tube

cityslicks

Freshman Member
This is my fault for not being around when the steering column was removed for my restoration and then deciding to replace the control unit. my stator tube was already removed from the steering column and we found the control head had been welded to the tube by the previous owner. I was able to get a another tube from Mcleods British car part out of Little Rock (if you need used parts this guy probably has them). So my question....... looks like the stator tube has to be inserted from the bottom of the steering coloumn (end opposite of steering wheel ) before the new control dead is inserted. Am I right or is there an easier way. I could find nothing on line on how to do this. This and a new windshield are the last major hurdles for my restore.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The tube can go down through the top. It is held on by a compression ferrule and nut at the bottom. The tube alco has a couple of "Chinese lantern" bearings on it. I don't think you can get the bearings anymore. Some of the new tubes come with plastic substitutes. If yours doesn't have them I think Macy's had some plastic ones. Not sure if they are absolutely necessary but certainly best to have them.
You can use the ones on your old tube if you have it.
Tom

Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Definitely...tube in from the steering wheel side and slide down until it comes out of the steering gear. You can then install the olive and nut to the steering gear loosely. Next, feed the wires down the tube from the top. The bullet connectors are staggered in length so they don't make a knot going through the tube. Use WD40, LPS1, silicone spray, or some other non-water based lubricant to help pushing the wires easier.

The final install is when you have the steering wheel mounted, you align the slot in the stator with the tab in the control head and push the head down into place. This will shove the stator out of the steering gear the proper amount. Ensure the control head is centered to an "average" as you turn the wheel back and forth...and then tighten the olive nut to hold the tube in place. The newer olives are not as good as the originals, so a bit of plumbers sealant on the olive will prevent oil leaks from the steering gear.

That's about the whole deal...

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You will need a pull wire to get the wires through the stator tube. An assistant is helpful to feed the wires in the top of the tube.
I think I removed the bullet connectors before I installed the wires.
David

Stearing column wires.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On the Healey the stator tube is a tight fit as I gather yours is. I removed all the bullets except for the first one, which I attached to a female connector on the pull wire. Heat shrink tubing around the rest of the wires.

StatorWirePull.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I did heat shrink as well to keep everything together. Worked well and I did it by my self. I would get the wire lined up then pull some through and lined up some more and repeat till it is all pulled in.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I was able to push through with the bullets installed...just silicone lube. It is important to remove any twist in the wires before you start.