• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Starting car for 1st time after rebuild.

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well it finally happened, I started my 2 up for the first time today. It ran quite well, smooth, no bad engine noises! I ran it for about 10 minutes running the RPM up several times.I still have a smaller oil leak, then I had before. It seems to be coming out somewhere around the fuel pump.I probably lost about 1/3 of a quart during the 10 minutes it was running.

I bought a QuickJack that raises the car about 2' . I am going to gunk the engine around the area I think its leaking from, blow the area clean and jack it up outside. I have a big leak pan i am going to put under it, crank it up and crawl underneath to see if I can see where the oil is coming from.Could a bad fuel pump gasket lose that much oil?

Problem #2. I put a new clutch slave cylinder on, but had a hard time bleeding it. The petal keep going down to the floor, with no resistance.I finally gave up and took the slave cylinder off to see if it was faulty. The piston appeared fine and would go in and out smoothly. Then I noticed that the rod in the new one was about 1" shorter then the old one? I am going to re-install the part with the old longer rod and see if I have solved the problem.

Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Do you mean the clutch master cylinder? If so, it sounds like it needs to be primed.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello Dick,
You need to make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, one thing to watch for is when the clutch pedal is released the slave piston tends to make its way to the rear that's why it has the return spring to keep it all the way in to give free play for the throw-out bearing. If it is pushed all the way out, check the fluid level in the master cylinder, you don't want it to overflow when you push it back in

Graham

Last edited:
OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello Dick,
You need to make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, one thing to watch for is when the clutch pedal is released the slave piston tends to make its way to the rear that's why it has the return spring to keep it all the way in to give free play for the throughout bearing. If it is pushed all the way out, check the fluid level in the master cylinder, you don't want it to overflow when you push it back in

Graham

Thanks Graham, I am going to reinstall the cylinder with the longer rod. Adjust it .79 and bleed again.

Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's not the master cylinder, it's the Slave cylinder bolted on to the transmission.

Dick

I didn't know the slave came with a rod. The adjustment procedure will tell you what's wrong. Also, if you just open the bleed screw the system will bleed by gravity. There is no need to pump the pedal.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Without the rod, the throw-out bearing would not move.

The cylinders I have bought have no rod supplied. Yours did? The way you wrote the initial post it sounded like the rod was supplied. The rods rarely wear out, so I guess I am confused (again) with why you would have and use a new one obviously of a different length. A 1" shorter rod would not be able to be adjusted properly, and thus what I would guess to be the problem??

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
You must have caught John napping; he’s got one. I have no idea the rod length on a lockheed tr2 system. Maybe research it to see if some book shows the lengthen. I see Moss says buy a tr3 slave rod and cut it to fit for tr2 because it is shorter. I would probably order one from TRF and see what they and maybe get one from Moss also, but anyways I think it is go around the block time. Good job
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You must have caught John napping; he’s got one.

Yeah, I always feel like I am communicating with my wife when I read Red's posts. We don't seem to communicate on the same wavelength?!? I joke with my wife...whenever i ask what, she answers when...if I ask her how, she answers why...

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dick, If you have the original TR2 slave cylinder it is mounted on the rear of the mounting bracket which was changed later to the front so depending which one you have will change the length of the shaft?

Graham

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One of the previous owners swapped the Lockheed system for the Girling; excellent choice. I had a 55 TR-2 in college and went thru 3 rear ends and 2 axles, with the Lockeed system.

Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like you proved that Lockheed was weaker Dick. Well that is good Dick that is was changed to Girling because it would have been trial and error to get the correct rod. If you do not have a return spring get the spring from TRF, they have a choice for the—Girling or Lockheed. Randall and I went round and round on that spring. Then finally TRF offered the choice for Girling or Lockeed. Moss only sells the early spring and suggests it fits tr3; it does not. A Girling system would work better without the strong spring. A Girling system uses the longer return spring.