• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Squeak, Squeak

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm trying to track down what I think is a minor, but annoying, front end squeak on Baby Blue. It's definitely coming from the right front. When I push down on the fender, it squeaks on compression, but not on rebound. Front suspension travel is smooth both in the compression and rebound. It doesn't feel like anything is binding. The problem is when I jack up the car to take off the wheel so I can more closely figure out where it's coming from, I can no long compress the front end to reproduce the squeak. I suppose I could take the floor jack to the lower end of the A-arm and compress the suspension, but I don't think it will compress rapidly enough to reproduce the squeak.

The shocks are Peter C's units and they are less than a year old. All the grease points were done earlier this summer, so I'm thinking it may be at a non-lubricated pivot point. Thoughts? Other than the noise, the car's handling is smooth and steady.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have found the best first solution to squeeks is to jack up the car and tighten every bolt you can find aa few turns. It is amazing what wiggles loose.

Morris

Yoda
I used silicon bushings on my car. About a year after I initially installed them, they started squeaking. The solution was to coat them with another layer of the white grease that came with them.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'd guess the inner bushings on the lower arms.

Or the rubber bushing on the outer end of the lever shock.

Or the sway bar rubber bushings.

Spray all of those areas with silicone spray. If it helps, I'd probably try to get some silicone grease in there.