• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget Stealth?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Earlier this year, I was taking Baby Blue out for her regular exercise when I blew past a speed camera. I braced myself for the inevitable flash -- and nothing happened. I thought that was curious. A few days ago, the same thing happened...blew past a speed camera and no flash.

I don't have the gumption to try it intentionally, but it appears the speed cameras aren't catching the Sprite. My first thought is that the Sprite is so small and so low to the ground that the radar simply misses it. But, other cars are pretty low to the ground, too? Then I looked at the car. Most cars and trucks today have a flat rear fascia -- perfect for reflecting radar waves back to the traffic camera. The Sprite has a curved rear fascia which would seem to deflect the radar beams upward instead of a direct return. I think the "cathedral" taillights may also help deflect the radar by bouncing the waves in a completely different direction -- not unlike the design of the F-117 Stealth Fighter -- just a lot better looking and more practical for everyday driving.

So, what say you? Has anyone with a Spridget picked up a speed camera ticket with it? Or, perhaps we have a true "secret weapon" on our hands?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That, or, like everyone else who drives these puppies - you go the limit and it feels like you are driving at the edge :D

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I haven't tried it, but..... At least the speed cameras that they installed in the school zones in Longview, (neighboring town) are tripped not by radar, but by having loops in the road to find the engine block. There is a court case now ongoing about whether this meets the "Frye test" for admissibility standards, as to anyone's knowledge they have not yet done so. .. If it can read the engine block in a motorcycle, it should see the Spridgets, but what about cars with all aluminum blocks? ..... Corvette?

nomad

Yoda
I've had a couple of camera flashes that should have resulted in a ticket in the state of Iowa. I am, however, a resident of South Dakota. Found out recently that the state of So Dak refuses to look up the licence plate info unless they are payed to do so. I guess that makes us immune! Knowing this state it would not surprise me even if that's not the case!

Kurt.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ours are definitely radar operated and not the loop. And yes, the "perception of speed" probably keeps me from having any more camera tickets, as a lot of the time you think you're moving when you're actually well within the limits of the camera.

On average, I collect one camera ticket every 3 months in the Jetta, although I just got 2 in three weeks. Sometimes I think I've kicked to much money to the local government that I think they may name their next elementary school after me.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ours are definitely radar operated and not the loop. And yes, the "perception of speed" probably keeps me from having any more camera tickets, as a lot of the time you think you're moving when you're actually well within the limits of the camera.

One of my very favourite things about these cars - I feel like I am tearing around every time I get in it and rarely exceed the limit - and then I see a Lambo or Ferrari stuck in traffic and I chuckle even more!

On average, I collect one camera ticket every 3 months in the Jetta, although I just got 2 in three weeks. Sometimes I think I've kicked to much money to the local government that I think they may name their next elementary school after me.

Impressive - the main reason Cruise Control is a Must on any car I own. Set it and forget it - I even use it on certain radar heavy sections of road in town. Maybe they could call a Driving School after you <snicker>