Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
does anyone know the spitfire axle thread size? My first two threads are striped and I need to clean them up with a die, but I need to know what size die I need.
back, there not bad, its the first two threads so the nut dosent go on straight,The nut wont even touch them when it is tightened down, just have to get the nut started straight.
Same thing happened to me on my first Spit - after a little too aggressive attempt to pull the hubs. Guzzul's comment on a thread file is a good one, those tools are very handy to clean up threads. I actually used both thread file and die and it repaired just fine - the damage in my case was beyond the nut once everything was tightened up again.
I would be very hesitant using a die since it is likely to follow the incorrect threading and then you will be in bigger trouble.
The thread file is a better idea.
I bought a tool a few months ago called a "thread mate"
It was cheap enough that I figured it was worth the risk. Surprisingly, it works very well. Easier than a thread file. Don't know if they are available in the US yet. As I recall it was about $15 or so I have gotten my moneys worth!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.