• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Speedometer, TR3A Post 60000

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I have 4 speedometers and they are all Jaeger's. Three, including my original, are all marked 1180 on the face, below the mileage indicator. None of them work. The forth one is marked 1200 but, it does work.
Does anyone see any potential problem with putting that one in my car?

Your thoughts, greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tinkerman

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The numbers are the number of revolutions of something (speedo cable?) anyway 1200 and 1180 are so close your modern tires will throw it off more than that 1.7% difference.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Got ya, Don't know why I didn't think of that.
Thanks, Geo

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
The numbers are the number of revolutions of something (speedo cable?) anyway 1200 and 1180 are so close your modern tires will throw it off more than that 1.7% difference.
I'd agree with that. Interesting that the two are so relatively close. I don't have any Smiths/Jaeger literature relevant to TR speedometers, but I'd have to suspect that 1180 was the typical (for Dunlop Gold Seal tires), while the 1200 might have been for factory fitment of Michelin X radilas...or something like that!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tinkerman said:
I have 4 speedometers and they are all Jaeger's. Three, including my original, are all marked 1180 on the face, below the mileage indicator. None of them work. The forth one is marked 1200 but, it does work.
Does anyone see any potential problem with putting that one in my car?

Your thoughts, greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tinkerman

Dick,

Can you post the part number on the speedometer for the one with 1200?

Scott

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Hi Scott I just PM'd you.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My speedo reads 1180 on the face of it. My 1958 TR3A came with this speedo and 550-15 bias ply Dunlop Gold Seal tyres in 1958. I just did a test with my Vredestein 165-15 radials and the results came out about 1225. So I think you will be even closer (more accurate) with the 1200 speedo than any of the 1180 units.

I agree with Andy who supplied the correct reason.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Once I get it ready and installed and on the road I will get it checked with police radar. I work as a volunteer with the local police force and the Chief has already told me he would be happy to check it out. He even came over and helped me put the body on the chassis.
By the way Don, I used the A frame hoist because I have it. I'm amazed that you and your helpers did it on a snow covered driveway! Could have been real bad if someone had slipped on the stuff. Course when I lived in New England, we did things like that without even thinking about it. We were younger and more agile back in those days also, heh.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Tinkerman said:
Once I get it ready and installed and on the road I will get it checked with police radar...

They'll do that around here, they even throw in a couple of photos (one of the rear of the car & another of the driver). Pretty good package for only $150. Don't think you get the 40 wallet-sized prints though.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I was confronted with the possibility of gross speedometer error after I got done with the restoration, as I was sure that I would have some major issues due to the modifications I had made to the car. I installed the Toyota transmission, and put on 185/70-15 tires. Surely, my speedometer won't be anywhere in the ballpark.

I mounted my Garmin GPS on the windshield, and headed out to figure out what percentage I was off, and then decide to either live with it, or get the speedo re-calibrated or whatever.

I headed out, drove a steady 30mph according to Garmin, and looked at the Jaeger gauge, and noticed it was also at 30mph. OK, let's go up in 10 mph increments. Well, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80mph...the Garmin and the Jaeger never varied more then 1-2mph.

Things like this don't just happen, but there it was. This put a very big smile on my face... :smile:

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Not for speeding, Geo, but...

Attachments

• 23039.jpg
    23039.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 148

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tinkerman said:
Once I get it ready and installed and on the road I will get it checked with police radar.

I'd follow Art and use a GPS.

Scott

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dick I think I broke a couple of speedometer’s odometers by running the speedometer with the original grease. After time, the old grease turns to this tar looking stuff that acts as glue. Anyway, I thought I would mention that and maybe save you some pain. I met this guy at a car show when I was looking to buy a speedo, and he suggested if I was interested in a speedo and was unable to check it out in a car that what he does is give them a bounce by gently flicking his wrist and the needle will bounce and return. Clearly this will not check calibration, but it will tell you if the main spring is good. Usually if the mainspring is good, the rest is cleaning and what the shops refer to as setting the Jewell.
Steve