• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedo problems

MY66AH

I have a '66 Sprite and the speedo indicator is just spinning around but the odometer is working fine. Is it the cable or the cluster? Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 8987

I have a '66 Sprite and the speedo indicator is just spinning around but the odometer is working fine. Is it the cable or the cluster? Thanks again.

What do you mean by "the speedo indicator is just spinning around"?
Do you mean as you drive the needle that points to the indicated speed is spinning around, faster and faster as you drive?
Odometer working means gears in trans and cable are okay enough...altho sticking cables (rusted, dirty, corroded, too much grease) can cause flicking of the needle.
But if the speedometer has failed, and you have a direct connection between the cable input through the magnets and drum to the needle, well, time to go looking for a new unit.

Opinion.

dklawson

Yoda
+1

If the needle goes all the way around the face, the gauge needs a professional rebuild. Something went wrong and now the hairspring that counterbalances the needle will be tied in a knot.... and broken.

OP
MY66AH

MY66AH

+1

If the needle goes all the way around the face, the gauge needs a professional rebuild. Something went wrong and now the hairspring that counterbalances the needle will be tied in a knot.... and broken.
So how does one find such a master craftsman?

D

Deleted member 8987

https://www.nisonger.com/

However...be prepared for some sticker shock if your needle has spun.
That generally means something like the pilot bearing has gone, the magnets have impacted the drum, spun it, breaking off the stop or zero tab, and destroying the hair springs. If it's like my speedometers.
And with Limey Limos, maybe not.
Is yours one with the calibration number on the face? That's for tyre size and gear ratio of rear axle and possibly overdrive (depends on marque).
I think I would ask around and see if someone had a similar calibration number head you could buy.
Just a thought.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Palo Alto Speedometers (https://www.paspeedo.com) is another option for a respected repair shop. Also unlikely to be cheap.

I've never had a LBC speedo that worked. The one in my MGB is dead, as is the one in the Morris. No idea if the Bugeye one works, but somehow I doubt it. :grin:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Speed hut fixes that issue.

D

Deleted member 8987

Mine works, but it's 10% off. Odo and Speedo.
I have done enough reading to know if I was to send it in, specifying what the errors were to correct, it would probably come back worse.
If it was US...1,000 RPM is 60MPH on all...you just change the gear in the trans end of the cable....NOT all the silly gears in the speedo head....and different for odo and speedo...and stupid....but I digress.

nomad

Yoda
If you can get along without it for a while, flea bay is probably the cheapest option. The only spare I think I have needs to go to the shop to correct major needle bounce. I'll dig deeper to see what I can find.

Kurt.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The speedo in Baby Blue seems to work and is reasonable accurate, although it is subject to some bouncing at highway speeds. I greased the cable which reduced the bouncing to a tolerable level of about 5 mph. At one point the speedometer was giving me fluctuations of almost 20 mph.

DugMoney

Country flag
I'd send it to Nisonger as well. A little pricey, but it will come back fixed.

My temp. gauge quite working last month, so I'm going to take it out this fall and send it up.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just sent the big Healey speedo off to Nisonger. As a point of information, they quoted $175 with a three-week turnaround.

That's not bad at all. I need to do the speedo in my Morris (and the MGB one, and the Bugeye one...). May have to motivate to get it sent out.