• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Special Sockets

P

Paul McGuffin

I’m sure many of you already know about these sockets, they are for “buggered up” and rounded bolt heads. I was in the process of removing an exhaust gas recirc valve and all it related componets (junk) on my old 1992 Toyota 4x4 truck. Between the power steering pump and air conditioning it was next too impossible to remove a lower flange 12mm bolt. After four different attemps over a period of two months, I finally bought a set of 3/8 drive special sockets for removing damaged bolt heads. I’m not crazy about Auto Zone, but that’s where I found them. The 12mm socket worked great. I would have bought a 1/2 drive drive, but the lowest it went was 13mm . Here is a photo of my old and new Toyota 4x4 trucks. Notice the difference in size of a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 and a 1992 4x4. The old one is more fun to drive, but it didn’t come with a computer. 270,000 miles on the ’92 and still going strong.
Truck3.jpg
My Bugeye is in the garage.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Small trucks have become large and big trucks have become Huge.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger with 185,000 miles and can't find a similar size truck to take its place.

David

dklawson

Yoda
... and "minivans" are certainly not "mini".

Do you have a link to a picture of the special sockets? I don't know which product you are referring to.

OP
P

Paul McGuffin

Just go and Google “damaged bolt sockets.” There are many companies that make them. I bought a $25 set at Auto Zone. I might note; on the Toyotas, at least the v-6 engine, they are a fail safe desingn. In other words, if you break a timing belt, there's no damage to the valves. I used an after marker belt at 205,000 miles, it broke in the middle of know where out of Kingman, Arizona, with 240,000 miles. A local “Lou’s” type garage fix it. At 270,000 miles, I just had a Toyota dealer put in a Toyota factory belt, they last at least 60-K. IMO, the 22-R 4- cylinder does not have the power of the 3.0 series V-6, but they are a much better power plant.

dklawson

Yoda
Sorry... you just caused me to do a flashback when you said "22-R". That's the new engine. It's totally different from the 18RC and early 22R Toyota engines I worked on in my youth. Even those old 4-cylinders were tough. Unfortunately, the 18RC was not an interference free engine. I broke a timing chain due to failure of a sprocket bolt. I didn't get out for just a new chain and sprockets, I had to have the valves replaced.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Which motor in your Ranger David? My '93 has the 2.3 L & 445,000 on the clock. I'd like to find another one for backup.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Mine is also the 2.3L 16 valve. Manual transmission.
When I got the truck the clutch was slipping so I did a clutch job on it. About 2 years later I had to replace the clutch release because it would not always engage the clutch. What a PITA to get the slave cylinder in place. It all comes as one piece and has to be threaded through to the firewall.

David