• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire source for spitfire tie rod end boots

dklawson

Yoda
I was actually looking at this over the past few days. I tried generic parts from Advance Auto but the cheap rubber literally fell apart (and then off) just while parked in the driveway (2 months, no road time). I was looking at getting the generic parts sold by Summit (black, not the boy racer red).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is just a suggestion, but because Lotus Elans and Europas use the same fron end bits, ya might try Dave Bean Engineering out in California.

pipercollins

I ordered a pair for my 1500 last fall from Spitbits.

If you can't get them now, let me know. It'll be a while before I get round to the job.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
dklawson said:
I tried generic parts from Advance Auto but the cheap rubber literally fell apart (and then off) just while parked in the driveway (2 months, no road time).
That's interesting. One of the ball joints on my wrecked TR3A had a generic boot from the Help! section at one of the local FLAPS; and it was still in good condition after maybe 10 years on the car. I'd forgotten all about it until I stripped the suspension a few months back.

But of course it didn't fit into the groove like the originals did, so I didn't reuse it.

dklawson

Yoda
TR3driver said:
One of the ball joints on my wrecked TR3A had a generic boot from the Help! section at one of the local FLAPS; and it was still in good condition after maybe 10 years on the car.

I was hoping for something similar but it was not to be. This comment is not meant to be an opening salvo for Chinese bashing but I have been told (regarding other molded rubber products) that a lot of cheap rubber goods are now made in China and the materials are not often what the customer requested. Based on how the boot on the Spitfire perished I suspect the rubber was some form of EPDM which was totally unsuitable for grease contact. That's why I'm looking at generics from Summit as they are supposedly molded from urethane.

OP
eschneider

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
pipercollins said:
I ordered a pair for my 1500 last fall from Spitbits.

If you can't get them now, let me know. It'll be a while before I get round to the job.

Spitbits said not available.

dklawson

Yoda
I mentioned earlier in this thread that the "HELP" boots I purchased from the local Advance Auto disintegrated (while parked) after about 2 months. I mentioned I was considering buying some from Summit. I did and they arrived this week. Check out their Summit's part number: ENS-9-13103G $4/pair

The parts from Summit are not a perfect fit on the Spit tie rod ends but they appear serviceable and acceptable for a generic item. Being urethane they are somewhat stiff, thick walled, and slippery. The large diameter slips completely (and somewhat tightly) over the flange on the cast part of the rod end but there is no molded in lip to "grab" the rod end. The through hole has no problems sliding over the tapered stud. The part number above is for a normal black part. It's also available in red if you like that sort of thing.

Since I was ordering some other parts these were worth trying at $4/pair. However, if I were not already ordering parts, it's hard to beat the price of new tie rod ends (with boots) at roughly $11/each from BP Northwest. (BTW, I agree with Andy that the part number above was a steering rack gaiter).

Minesweeper

I have the Energy Suspension tie rod end boots that Doug L. described, 'cept for a TR6. I think I bought them from Amazon since I get the free two-day shipping. The fit is very good. Although as Doug said there is no moulded lip to fit in the groove in the tie rod end, the boot does grip quite well. They are substantial and are not going to deteriorate from contact with grease or anything else, and will not stain like rubber does.

Scott

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
I'm seeing that part number as steering rack gaiter boots?
Yes, I assumed he meant the boot for the inner tie rod ball joint, not the end. I've assumed wrong before.

I didn't think you could get the outer ball joint boot, BL catalogs list them as NSS, but I see by Doug's link to Summit you can.

OP
eschneider

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
guzzul said:
...I assumed he meant the boot for the inner tie rod ball joint, not the end...

I'm looking for the boot for the outer tie rod ends, not the bellows for the rack / inner tie rods.