Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I just recieved an original tire pump I bought on UK Ebay today. Fairly good condition, and works OK, but would work much better if I had a replacement leather cup washer. Anyone know of a place that might sell these?
Kevin
Try an fashioned hardware store and look in the plumbing section. They often have those leather cup washers to fix faucets. Maybe there's something there that will fit.... If it's just OLD, not torn, soak it oil and give it a try first.
The pump had bicycle bearing grease in there. I rubbed a little on the cup itself and it seemed to work ok after. I just figured that after 50 years it might work a little better with a new leather cup. Unfortunately where I live, the little hardware stores have all been forced out of business by the big guys. I will check out the local hardware stores and bicycle shops too. Thanks, Kevin
One of our local Ace hardware stores had them in their garden department. They are used in garden sprayer pumps. Let me know the size and I'll see if they still have them the next time I'm in there.
That is really nice of you Marv. Let me take a look at my stores first and then I may be asking for your help. Would I give the size of the tube for the correct size leather cup? Obviously the fit has to be tight to work. I have to push in the leather cup a little when I put it back together.
Kevin
I was at Ace this afternoon and they still have them. They are in inch sizes and a pretty good selection. I'm going to measure an old tyre pump that I have and pick up a couple for myself.
I measured the inside of the tube, and it is 1 5/32". Do they have anything close to this? I checked one hardware, and they didn't have anything.
Kevin
Kevin
They come in 1/8" increments. This is 1 1/8' and I think it would work for you. My pump measures 1 5/16" so I got an 1 1/4" and after I soaked it in neatsfoot oil, it works great. PM your mailing address and I'll send it to you.
Thanks for the parts, Marv. It was so nice of you to go out of your way to help someone you don't even know. More work on the tire pump, but I think the leather cup will work perfectly.
Kevin
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.