• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Sorting my new 1970 MGB GT

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just purchased my GT. It is a one owner California car that we imported to Toronto Canada. Joined the Toronto MG Club as well. Previously have had healeys and a supercharged TD, but never a B.
The car has the Moss Minuki carb setup And pcv kit. I am not familiar with them and am looking for any advice on a stutter at about 3000 rpm That only occurs under full throttle. Stutters, feels like it will stall, clears its throat and pops, then settles back down. feels like a vacuum leak and am starting to trace that down. The pcv is leaking oil around the hose connections, suggesting a leak there at least.
All ideas welcome.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Don, welcome to BCF! You posted your question in our forum that we set up to discuss this new forum software. For this type of specific MG-related topic, you want to post in our "MG" forum. I am moving this thread to the MG forum so if you are reading this now then you are in the MG forum.

Basil

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Don, welcome to BCF! You posted your question in our forum that we set up to discuss this new forum software. For this type of specific MG-related topic, you want to post in our "MG" forum. I am moving this thread to the MG forum so if you are reading this now then you are in the MG forum.

Basil
Thanks!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome neighbour - can't help but you are in the right place. I am in Etobicoke - you?

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Small world. Grew up in Humber Valley Village. Currently on Lynwood Ave, 1 block south of St Clair west off avenue road.

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Progress, put a clamp on the pcv hose and problem mostly solved. Probably found the main vacuum leak. Idles lower and smooth. a few test miles needed to be sure.

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Problem 1 solved with the stutter at 3000 rpm. seems it was a vacuum leak (mostly)
New issue. The car has a T9 5 speed installed by a previous owner. it developed a large leak in the seal around the fifth gear sandwich.
The good news is that with a hoist we were able to remove the transmission without pulling the engine. Off to the transmission shop for new seals and back in service today.

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Problem 1 solved with the stutter at 3000 rpm. seems it was a vacuum leak (mostly)
New issue. The car has a T9 5 speed installed by a previous owner. it developed a large leak in the seal around the fifth gear sandwich.
The good news is that with a hoist we were able to remove the transmission without pulling the engine. Off to the transmission shop for new seals and back in service today.
Transmission back in and dry underneath! The stutter is completely gone after the vacuum leak fix on the PCs line and half a tank of new non ethanol gas. I think the car had water in the gas having sat for a long while before I bought it. So far so good, loving putting a few miles on it.

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Found a vibration at highway speed and am going to try dynabeads to solve the balance issue as I can not find a local shop who can balance wire wheels. Will report on if the dynabeads make any difference.
Anyone out there with experience using dynabeads?

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Very recent discussion on Bead balancing on a corvette forum I belong to. General consensus put Bead balancing right up there with snake oil.

OP
Dontyler

Dontyler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Found a vibration at highway speed and am going to try dynabeads to solve the balance issue as I can not find a local shop who can balance wire wheels. Will report on if the dynabeads make any difference.
Anyone out there with experience using dynabeads?
Transmission back in and dry underneath! The stutter is completely gone after the vacuum leak fix on the PCs line and half a tank of new non ethanol gas. I think the car had water in the gas having sat for a long while before I bought it. So far so good, loving putting a few miles on it.
After a 3 hour highway drive and a fresh tank of gas the car is running very well. Checked points condenser, rotor and timing and replaced the moving bits, keeping the old usable ones as a backup.
After adjusting the idle and a few highway miles on fresh gas the car feels right.
Kind of proves that a number of small issues can combine, solving the vacuum leak, probably water in the gas and carb adjustment did the trick.
Bottom line is we need to drive our lbc’s much more!