• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes Things Work Themselves Out

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I went on a couple of errands today,& filled up the Midget.
Had an appointment a couple of hours later,& took the Miata.I
decided to fill it up at the same gas station.As I set the gas cap
on top of the pump,I noticed that the one from the Midget was
right next to it!
What are the odds of finding it right where I left it?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There was always a good chance of finding one tucked in the right side bumper over-rider on the early MGB's.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wow, that was fortunate! I remember one time, as I was leaving work, I accidentally left my Day Planner for my work on top of my car's roof as I had my hands full and needed to set it down while I unlocked the car and loaded a bunch of other stuff. Unfortunately, I forgot the Day Planner (which was +11 in importance for my job). I didn't even realize what I had done until later that night when I got a call from some guy in town who asked my if I lost a Day Timer - he had found it in then middle of the road about a block from my work. Up until then I didn't even realize it was gone. I immediately drove to his home to retrieve it. I was so glad that someone honest found it and gave him a little something for his trouble.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've left a couple things on top of vehicles and gotten lucky - worst was I left a laptop bag on the back bumper of a big box truck when I worked sound - realized it 10 minutes after the truck left. Drove the route the driver took for 60 miles looking for it, never found it. Got home to several messages on the phone machine from the county police - someone found it and turned it 5 minutes after I had took off after it - but the people I was living with wouldn't answer the phone even when they heard the officer speaking on the machine because "it was late at night and no one should be calling that late"...got the machine back undamaged.

I once left a bible on the roof of a station wagon - got to the church and it was still there wedged into the roof rack bars. The cover was gone but all the pages were still intact.

I left a pocket knife on the back coaming edge of the sailboat - drove over 100 miles down to the coast and when I was removing the tiedowns holding the boat to the trailer found the knife pretty much right where I left it - clearly the trailer gives one heck of a smooth ride.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
left a mug on the top of the car once and got to church and it was still there and still had some coffee in it.

Much later I lost a $50 gift card - retraced my steps pulled into the same parking spot, opened the door, looked down and there it was.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I had a TR6,I checked the oil before a car run.
We met at a restaurant about 10 miles away.After leaving
the restaurant (about a mile down the road) I saw something
shiny.Turned out it was the oil cap that I'd forgotten to put
back on the valve cover,& it wasn't even run over!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I once left a locking gas cap from an Audi at a Merritt Parkway gas station. It was still there when I went back. Another time, I gave a crippled client a ride to her nursing home after she sold her house. I left my briefcase on the roof of the car while I helped her in with her crutches. It fell off somewhere downtown, but I got a call from someone who saw it fall off, looked inside and saw my papers and called me. I still have that old briefcase. It's a small one I bought about 50 years ago. Finally when I returned my 2015 Subaru off lease, I left my prescription Polaroid sunglasses in the compartment over the mirror. never came back. Cost me $200 plus for another pair.